CNET Editors' review
With Finder options typically located in several different menus, XtraFinder for Mac combines them all together for easier access. This free program could use some design help but would be beneficial for those who have to constantly switch between menus and programs in the Finder window.
After installing into the applications folder, XtraFinder for Mac automatically restarts the Finder window to apply any changes. Double clicking the program icon brings up its main menu, which lacks any graphics and has a cluttered look. The first menu contains options for tabs, windows, and shortcut keys. Users can also change the tab styles based on the appearance of other programs, like Google Chrome. The shortcuts can control tab options, including opening new ones and moving between previous menus. The features pane allows changes to things such as colors and text scheme, as well as toolbar changes. While the number of available modifications is impressive, few of them are easy to figure out based solely on the menu descriptions. Better labels or a user guide would have been a helpful addition. Fortunately, it was easy to turn options on and off, and the changes incorporated flawlessly into the Finder.
Despite its messy interface and lack of direction, XtraFinder brings some useful Mac modifications to the table. It's worth a download if you're willing to put up with some trial and error to get results.
From Tran Ky Nam:
- Dual Panel & Dual Window.
- Arrange folders on top.
- Cut & Paste.
- Global hotkeys.
- "Copy Path", "Show Hidden Items", "Refresh", "New File", "Copy to", "Move to", "New Terminal Here", "Contents", "Select...", ... .
- Light text on dark background.
- Colorful icons in Sidebar.
- Automatically adjust width of columns.
- Press Return to open selection.
- Display folder item count in List view.
- Middle-click to open folder in new window or new tab.
- Use command-option-shift-number shortcuts to set Label.
- Much more.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Play and produce music with this expandable virtual instrument.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Complete new set of folder icons.
- Drum software can be used both as a standalone instrument or an...
- Watermark your photos via Aperture.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Be informed about the latest additions to the IntelliShare Clas...
- Use measuring tool for Adobe Illustrator.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Create and edit Web documents remotely.
- Data recovery software.
- Professional quality drum and percussion synth plugin.
- File sharing app that makes it simple to manage, protect and sh...
- Profile your screen and printer colors to make them match.
- Enable the Mozilla browser to use Apple's JVM to run Applets.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Flexible multi-effects and sound design tool.
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content