CNET Editors' review
World Explorer is an app that lets you enter any of the 350,000 locations in the app's database and see images and descriptions of that location. Working with the Mac's geolocation capabilities, you can also see what's near you. The app installs quickly.
The World Explorer interface presents you with a dialog box to enter a location, then three panes underneath show images, an illustrated description, and ratings of the feature or nearby features. Lookups are fast, and we ended up discovering lots of things around us that we hadn't seen before, as well as learning enough to sound like a know-it-all when we got there! Most of the information is retrieved through an Internet connection from other sources, not self-contained in the app (the database would have to be huge to do so!). The images used are attractive and the text is well written, but looks like it comes from Wikipedia.
The biggest complaint we had about the software was that it could take a while to look up and display information about a location, and sometimes the app had trouble looking up a search entry until we found an acceptable way to phrase it. Still, World Explorer is a nice app and we'll keep it on our MacBook Pro, using it when we travel.
Explore the world with your Mac from your sofa! 'World Explorer' is a new and exciting way to discover what is interesting around you and around the World. Search for any place in the world, take a virtual walk in the streets, learn more about any monument... With over 350 000 locations, it's just like travelling around the world from your sofa! You will discover places and monuments everywhere, even just next to your home! You can also use 'World Explorer' to prepare a trip wherever you go: each location is rated and can be easily localized on a map.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed a bug which could induce a systematic return to 'Eiffel Tower' location when searching for a location.
- Correction of the location of many points of interest.
- Correction of a bug which could induce that the points of interest displayed did not correspond to what was searched.
More Products to Consider
- Google Maps desktop client for Mac.
- Manage your e-book library and sync to reader devices.
- View satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, geographic...
- Classic typing instruction software.
- English-Urdu dictionary.
- Powerful mathematical language for performing scriptable tasks.
- Kids' artwork program with iLife integration.
- Synchronize your brainwaves to achieve a specific mood or exper...
- LaTeX editor and project organizer.
- Convert ePUB to Kindle, Kindle to PDF, ePUB to AZW, ePUB to PDF...
- Medical DICOM viewer/converter.
- Build, display, manipulate crystal and molecular structures.
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- Simulate and experiment with some of the more commonly-used pro...
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- Monitor and test your Web site's performance and availability.
- Calculate the usual transcendental functions, including the gam...
- Memory Clean is the ultimate app for optimizing your Mac's memo...
- Vector cartography drawing app for drawing scaled plans & custo...
- Beautiful location-based thermometer.
- 3D image processing software with DICOM/PACS support.
- Remove every obstacle to effective Bible study.
- Catalog the contents of your media and devices.
- Control X10 CP290: sunrise, sunset, even/odd days.