CNET Editors' review
WindowsPager is quite interesting in concept, but in execution it's not too hot. While we see how it could be useful, the program's interface--or lack thereof--makes it frustrating to understand and use.
The program creates four virtual desktops on a user's computer, which are represented by four rectangles next to the system tray. The first contains everything that was open when the program started, and the rest are empty. Of course, since this is the extent of the program's interface--no options or settings or menus--it's not immediately obvious what's going on, and users may be taken aback to find that everything they had open appears to be gone. The program's Help file--if you want to call it that--is a single screen that briefly describes the program's four functions. We did learn here that it's possible to drag and drop a window from one desktop to another, which is useful. Unfortunately, it's difficult to select the proper program because each one is represented by a tiny icon that's barely legible. Sifting through the programs open in each desktop requires a lot of squinting and precise mouse movements. When we're multitasking and have a lot of different programs and projects open, a program like WindowsPager has the potential to be very helpful. Unfortunately, this program falls short.
WindowsPager is free and comes as a ZIP file that requires no installation. We recommend this program, but with reservations; it is useful, but there are likely other programs out there that are much easier to use.
From Jochen Baier:
WindowsPager is a desktop-switcher/pager for Windows Vista/7/XP/2000 to manage 'virtual' workspaces/desktops. It will integrate smoothly into the desktop panel. Features: virtual desktops, workspaces for Windows Vista/7/XP/2000; arrange your running applications on different desktops to improve overview; integration into the panel; several patterns possible; 64 bit support; move windows between desktops by drag 'n drop or by using the window menu; optional keyboard shortcuts for switching the desktop; set a window "sticky": always visible * "Mini-Windows" give an overview from each desktop; support for "Flashing-Windows" (notify for new messages in Mirc for example); keep a window above all others by selecting "Keep on top" from the window menu; drag `n drop between desktops; dual/multi monitor support; no administrator rights necessary; no installation; safe: automatic window restore even on crash by use of two separate processes.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Use and switch between virtual desktops easily.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Create reminders and organize your desktop notes with a few mou...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Organize your work space and create, manage, and switch among m...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Get multiple customized desktops.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Switch among many virtual desktops.
- View plane landing on your desktop.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Display a special effects screensaver on your desktop.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Enjoy this screensaver with scenic sites and pleasant music.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Watch snowflakes falling on your desktop.
- Play desktop game of columns.
- Create applications that interact with connected Windows CE, Po...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Display your daily horoscope.
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Best Virtual Desktop App!"
Version: WindowsPager 1.02
Fast, Simple, Just WORKS! One simple executable file that makes Windows so much better.
At times it gets Mozilla Firefox mixed up when you have several browsers open on different desktops and you move between the desktops at times Firefox is not where you left it. Moving back and forth between the desktops again corrects this.
I have tried most of the other virtual desktops out there and simply put the implementation of Windows pager is the cleanest and ultimately the most powerful.
I have tried most every virtual desktop for Windows including VirtuaWin, Desktops, and others and without exception they are all complicated and cumbersome to use. Moving between desktops requires either a combination of keystrokes or multiple mouse movements simply to move from one desktop to another. Windows pager allows you to, with one click, move from one desktop to another. You can drag applications from one desktop to another seamlessly and easily. It allows you to keep multiple desktops with a host of applications running in their own space all effortlessly.
Try all the others first so that you know you're getting the best, or save yourself some time and just use this.
It's simple, clean requires no large bloated file, it is a simple exe file that you execute at startup and it runs. I've never had problems with stability or compatibility the only issue I had I mentioned is with Firefox getting confused between the Windows.
This is an awesome little application! It's one of those applications that once you use it is hard to go back.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: