CNET Editors' review
Window Hide Tool is a freeware "boss key" app. They go by many names, but the object is always the same: to instantly hide an open window that you don't want someone else (like the boss) to see, simultaneously preserving both the illusion of productivity and whatever it was you had going on that would shatter it. The best boss keys let you program hot keys that quickly and unobtrusively drop the target window while you type or click. Window Hide Tool is one of the best we've tried. You can program basic commands such as to hide a single window, a group of windows, or all windows. You can specify groups of windows by their title text (such as "Firefox" or "Internet Explorer") and designate hot keys that will close all the windows in the group at once. You can also close windows by clicking a system tray icon.
A system tray menu accesses Window Hide Tool's basic functions and settings. We clicked Preferences to configure the program, which involved designating actions for keyboard hot keys and mouse clicks as well as selecting options such as requiring a password when performing various functions and hiding the tray icon when windows are hidden. We returned to the system tray menu and clicked Windows Groups, which called up a simple dialog for adding, deleting, and editing groups of windows. IE is selected by default, though no hot keys are designated. We assigned single keys to both the Hide and Show commands, clicked OK, and then opened IE. Pressing our first hot key closed all our open IE tabs and windows at once; pressing the second restored them. Excellent.
Window Hide Tool's Help file refers occasionally to a tool known as AceHide, which sounds like something that used to get riverboat gamblers killed, but it clearly explains how Window Hide Tool works. We ought to know because we didn't look at it until we'd already used Window Hide Tool; that's how easy it is to get started with this effective computer security tool. It's more the user's security than the computer's, actually, but that works for us.
From Window Hide:
Window Hide Tool allows you to quickly hide a window of any application. You can set hotkeys for basic program commands: hide a window, hide all windows, and hide a group of windows. Or you can hide a window by clicking an icon in your tray. Moreover, you can specify groups of windows by their title text and set hotkeys for them. (For example, a group can comprise all windows that have 'Internet Explorer' in their title text.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Reduce multiple passwords to one single item.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Hide your sensitive files and games in just one keypress.
- This simple tab organization tool divides one window into two.
- Change your way of launching applications without using the Win...
- This simple organization tool puts all of your Chrome tabs toge...
- Detect and clean thousands of threats.
- Capture screenshots of any part of your desktop.
- Make a window to the top of all other windows opened.
- Play massively MMORPG that puts you deep into historical fantas...
- Expand selected window within free space between windows.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content