CNET Editors' review
WinZip for Mac brings one of the oldest names in Windows compression utilities to the Mac, and we think they did it right. Featuring a clean Mac-like interface, WinZip for Mac lets you compress and secure your files for both sharing with others while keeping them away from prying eyes. Using a simple drag-and-drop interface, you can quickly add files to an archive, then compress them in the standard .ZIP format or create .ZIPX files--a format WinZip says is its smallest compression format to date. Both worked great on our test machines and the ability to password protect even just one file in an archive makes this software one of the best in its category on the Mac.
Once installed on your Mac, launching WinZip brings up a helpful wizard that lets you either create a new Zip file or combine processes with a Zip and e-mail function. From there, Winzip has you name the file and choose your compression format. Once the archive is created, you can either use buttons at the top of the interface to add and manage files or you can drag and drop files and folders from the Finder. It's not immediately obvious (and we think they could do a better job here), but to encrypt your files, you'll need to check the Encrypt box in the Add Files dialog box where you'll be prompted to add a password.
Some interface elements are particularly helpful in WinZip for Mac when managing compressed archives. A Quick Look button at the top lets you quickly preview individual files even before you unzip the archive--very helpful if you have a large archive and are looking for something specific. It also shows you how much space you'll save by zipping your files showing you the amount of bytes used and the amount saved by zipping on the right side of the interface.
Overall, WinZip for Mac adds a few options not found in the compression utility in Mac OS X and its ease of use make it a contender if you do a lot of compression, want to create secure archives, or like the idea of a Quick View tool. The software might be improved by adding another interface element for encryption, but mostly we think WinZip for Mac works very well for the money.WinZip for Mac - Compress, protect, nad share files on your Mac - Download Video Previews:
From WinZip Computing:
Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protecting, and sharing your files has never been this fast and intuitive. With full support for Mac OS X Lion, WinZip Mac Edition 2 lets you roll multiple files and photos into one easy-to-manage package. Send faster emails with large attachments using WinZip's instant emailing functionality. WinZip Mac Edition also includes strong, up to 256-bit AES encryption to protect your sensitive data, support for Mac-specific file formats, and one-click CD/DVD burning. 'In Place Editing' lets you edit compressed files using their native application, without unzipping them first. It's easy with WinZip!
What's new in this version:
- Full support for Mac OS X Lion - WinZip's fast, simple approach to zipping, protecting, and sharing files and folders now integrates seamlessly with Mac OS X Lion.
- In Place Editing - Open and edit files from within a zipped folder in their native application without unzipping them first. Now you don't have to unzip an entire archive just to update one file!
- Enhanced User Experience - Simplify your workflow by right-clicking on a file to zip, unzip, or zip and send t... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Zip, unzip, encrypt, and share files on your Mac.
- Remove apps, data, and other unnecessary junk.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Archive and compress zip, tar, gzip, bzip2, rar, 7-zip, cpio, s...
- Data recovery software.
- A (very) tiny BitTorrent client.
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Uninstall apps easily.
- Package your files and get them where you want them to go easil...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Universal .rar and .zip file opener.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- RAR archive manager.
- Screen capture utility.
- Play Blu-ray media on Mac.
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- Rename, copy, move files and folders with a single drag-&-drop ...
All versions:2.4 stars
out of 11 votes
Current version:2.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
Version: WinZip Mac 2.0
But a very good one-trick-pony. Very easy to use and whoever says it's confusing or "inconveniently designed" hasn't taken their time to look at it for a little while longer. Everything is self-explanatory.
A good program to work with. It can't do a whole lot else than unzipping .rar, but that's already a lot on a mac!
"OMG...even worse than than the first version!"
Version: WinZip Mac 2.0
None. Seriously...it simply does not work.
I upgraded from 1.0 which had issues but I assumed it would get beter. It almost completely unusable now. I click on zip files and nothing happens. What a ripoff!!!!
"Useless, didn't do any of the things it did well."
Version: WinZip Mac 2.0
Only good thing about it is being able to view the contents of a zipped file.
Confusing and inconveniently designed.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content