CNET Editors' review
WHOIS is a protocol that lets users query databases to find out the ownership information behind Web domains. WhoIs is a simple program that lets users perform this task, though we're not sure what the point of the program is when you can get the same information from any number of Web sites. If you do want a program dedicated to WHOIS queries, though, we suppose that WhoIs is a decent choice.
The program's interface is quite plain, and not entirely intuitive. A text box lets users enter the domain they want to search for, and we liked it that this box also has a drop-down feature that displays recently searched domains. Once a domain is searched for, a box above displays the country of registration, while a box below displays the IP address. A large field below displays all the located registration information, including the owner's name, address, registration date, DNS servers, and so on. Depending on the domain and the owner's privacy preferences, not all of this information may be listed, but that's not the fault of WhoIs; that's the case with any WHOIS search. Radio buttons let users choose between UTF-7 and UTF-8, and a Servers button will reload the WhoIs servers, but we could not figure out what the Replace button did; it brought up a dialog box that didn't make much sense to us. Unfortunately, WhoIs has no Help file, so we couldn't get any guidance there. Overall, WhoIs worked, but we're not sure why you'd want to clutter up your hard drive with a program that does something that can just as easily be done online.
WhoIs comes as a ZIP file. It's accessible after extraction with no need for installation.
From Patrice Zwenger:
Displays informations (owner, contacts, status ...) about a domain name (whois database). Enter a web address ,a host name or any name: e.g. http://www.google.com, google.com or google, http://~Ã??Ã?Â¯Ã??Ã?Â¿Ã??Ã?Â½.-Ã??Ã?Â¯Ã??Ã?Â¿Ã??Ã?Â½, http://@>AA8O.@D. IP addresses are also accepted, e.g. 126.96.36.199 (IPv4), [2002::4a7d:e650] (IPv6). A "Replace" utility will allow you to edit and replace the countries names. This version updates the "Whois Servers" files (top-level domain, whois server names, geographic type names); it updates the countries names for Domains hack (like speed.cd, bit.ly,...). The program now accepts IPv6 addresses and Internationalized domain names. This program works with Windows XP, Vista, 7. It requires the Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.0.
What's new in this version: This version updates the "Whois Servers" files (top-level domain, whois server names, geographic type names); it updates the countries names for Domains hack (like speed.cd, bit.ly,...). The program now accepts IPv6 addresses and Internationalized domain names.
More Products to Consider
- Download YouTube videos and convert to multiple formats.
- Download and convert videos from video streaming sites.
- Increase your connection speed and recover broken downloads.
- Download and manage torrent files.
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Download free videos from YouTube, Google, Yahoo, Facebook.
- Download YouTube videos and accelerate downloads by up to 5 tim...
- Download video and music from YouTube.
- Check your Facebook friends, discover if their profiles and pho...
- Find your own IP address and match hostnames with IP addresses ...
- Manage your file downloads on your Windows PC.
- Show pictures from the Matrix movie on your desktop screen.
- View, extract, and save cached videos in your Web browser cache...
- Track all network traffic.
- Download files faster and safer with your Web and Windows appli...
- Integrate VLC, Winamp, and MPC through YouTube and Vimeo to Fac...
- Create a Web gallery and view images individually or within a s...
- Identify the country of any given IP address.
- Search the Internet for torrent files, and download and upload ...Sponsored Products
- Enhance security and monitoring of your network.
- Enjoy this advanced 'whois' command.
- Search up to ten large Torrent portals and view the results.Sponsored Products
- Monitor hosts or network connections availability or connection...
- Download videos from YouTube and increase download speeds by up...
- Encrypt your files using a one key algorithm length key.