CNET Editors' review
As the old adage goes, seeing is believing, which is why we've seen such an abundance of screen-capture tools. But what if you want to capture video instead of a static picture? That's where Webcam Video Capture comes in. As its name suggests, it offers users a means to capture video and save it to their computer. Sadly, however, in practice, we found it clunky to use and glitchy to the point that it crashed on us, requiring reinstallation.
Webcam Video Capture's user interface is small and seemingly straightforward at first glance. Buttons labeled New Session, Record, Stop, Play, Settings, Help, and Support line the top of the window. Quick links at the bottom of the window, which can also be accessed via menus at the top of the window, let you apply more advanced settings to your video captures. For our first round, we went straight to YouTube. We selected a video from the site and while it was playing, we clicked Record, but the program didn't start recording right away; instead, a window popped up that gave us directions for recording the video. We had to click on the pointer and then drag and drop it onto the video, then click a different Record button -- and in the process missed the exact footage we wanted to capture. Our computer froze for a few seconds, but eventually the program successfully saved the video as an AVI file, which we were able to play in Windows Media Player. We noticed that the video didn't contain sound, so we paid a visit to the online Help file to figure out why. Right away we found the answer, or so we thought. The directions told us to go to a menu option that was named differently in the actual program. Still, we were able to figure out where to go and enable the audio capture capability. For our second round, we tried to capture the same video, but doing so caused our browser to crash, and then we couldn't get the program to run again and had to uninstall and reinstall it. After all was said and done, we found Webcam Video Capture's performance too inconsistent to make it a keeper. We also prefer more precise capture capabilities with our video capture tools. For that reason, we recommend you skip this one.
Webcam Video Capture comes as a ZIP file and requires you to enter an e-mail address for registration. It installs cleanly, but leaves a folder behind upon removal.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Webcam Video Capture 7.0.Webcam Video Capture - Record webcam and screen video - Download Video Previews:
From Webcam Simulator:
Capture webcams, streaming video, full screen, part of the screen and even video with sound. Seeing is believing! Use Webcam Video Capture to make people witness what you want to convey through an audio-visual medium. There are times when sharing exactly what you see on your screen is the quickest and clearest way to communicate. Capture and Share Anything : Webcam(s), any window, part of the screen or full screen to AVI or WMV video formats. Instruct Others With Quick "How-To" Illustrations : Demonstrate a product, create a presentation with your own audio narration, make a voiceover tutorial, or walk through a website review.
What's new in this version: Now you can get two licenses for 9.95$
More Products to Consider
- Record video with sound, convert, cut, join, mix, and apply eff...
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Capture screen images, scrolling areas, screen action, video, a...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Record Webcam images and streaming video.
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Capture your screen in different modes.
- Capture or record your computer screen, audio, or Webcam video.
- Capture video stream from multiple webcams.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Capture anything on your screen and send it to Facebook with a ...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Create eLearning and HTML5-based content without programming.
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Record video and images from Web cam.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Capture real-time video, sound, and image from video devices.
- Record anything on your PC in Full HD, up to 100FPS, with no la...
- Record videos from your screen, webcam or other video devices o...
- Capture video streams from multiple webcams.
- Capture screenshots with good visual quality.
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 59 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Webcam Video Capture 7.0
The program is great with Screen Capture, and simple to install.
The software does not record webcam, despite it's name... "webcam video capture."
The idea behind this program is that it does not capture video from webcams, but rather captures your SCREEN. The name comes from being able to record something on your screen, so if you have something which plays live FROM your webcam, this will record that part of your screen. Very misleading. Why not just call this screen recorder? I don't know. Please re-name or specify! I have no webcam player so need one!
Version: Webcam Video Capture 7.0
Setting a screen capture doesn't work, it will always crash.
I guess it doesn't work with Win8?
No "webcam" recording
I wanted to record what my WEBCAM is viewing.
I got this because that's what the name of this software was.
Overall, it pretty much sucked. I have no idea what the other people are talking about, as they are used to junk crap.
Installed for 5-10 mins tops. Uninstalled right after as it was just a waste of time.