CNET Editors' review
Would you pay for a desktop wallpaper slideshow? Let's rephrase that: Would you pay for shareware to create a desktop wallpaper slideshow? You might, if it's Wallpaper SlideShow Pro. What makes it so much better than the many free slideshow apps? Like the one that comes with Windows? Lots of things, starting with multiple monitor capability. You can custom-fit each separate image, too, so you no longer have to choose whether to center, fit, or stretch them all. You can add overlays like calendars and text, too. As we noted, Wallpaper SlideShow Pro is shareware, but it's free to try for 30 days (with watermark).
Wallpaper SlideShow Pro's user interface is as small and plain as the typical Windows settings dialog, but it's got everything you need right there, starting with a main window displaying all of our system's photo caches and the program's sample wallpaper. We unchecked those directories we wanted to exclude and browsed to and added an external archive. Wallpaper SlideShow Pro rotates up to 23 images per slideshow at intervals ranging from seconds to days. After we added our images (with Previews) we opened the Commands menu, which accesses everything that's on the even more extensive System Tray menu that doesn't already have its own control (and some that do). That seemed like a lot, until we clicked Options. How many slideshow apps have you encountered with 13 separate tabs on the options tree, and all of them actual settings, not About files? You'll find Images Info, Scrapbook, Calendar, and even Plug-Ins. When it's running, Wallpaper SlideShow Pro shows a roaming thumbnail in your Desktop Background settings in Windows.
Our only complaint about Wallpaper SlideShow Pro's presentation is the text watermark that appears on the trial version. Other than that, we've never seen a desktop slideshow program that does as much, or as well, as Wallpaper SlideShow Pro. So, do you need it? It's suitable for anyone who wants their desktop wallpaper to look great, but business users and those who set up public slideshows will be particularly interested. But you look at your wallpaper all day, every day, don't you?
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Wallpaper Slideshow Pro 3.3.
Wallpaper Slideshow Pro is a utility for displaying your favorite images as your desktop wallpaper. Wallpaper Slideshow offers you complete control on your wallpapers collection. It has lots of options that allows you customize the way wallpapers are created, for example for each image you can decide whether it must be automatically resized to fit the screen, centered, tiled or spanned across your multiple monitors. It is also possible to overlay a calendar, text, or info taken from exit, ptc, or xmp fields on your wallpapers. New wallpaper can be set on windows startup, at regular intervals or manually when you press a hotkey or double click on its icon. Wallpaper Slideshow is simple to use, intuitive and complete with full context-sensitive help.
What's new in this version: Version 3.4 has added comparison operators to the rating based filters.
More Products to Consider
- Display the view of our planet as seen from space.
- Enjoy flight over ocean in cinematic 3D environment.
- Animate your desktop with water effects.
- Change the desktop wallpaper automatically, position pictures t...
- Place video wallpapers on your desktop.
- Create a screensaver with images, sounds, movies, Flash, web si...
- Customize your wallpapers and screensavers with pictures and vi...
- Bring realistic coral reef aquarium to your PC screen.
- Emulates the Matrix code and introduction sequence.
- Disply a virtual aquarium with unsurpassed realism.
- Set your desktop virtually on fire.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Customize your bootup screen with your own images.
- Animate your desktop with the beautiful 3d space scenes.
- See a glowing digital clock that appears when your computer is ...
- Create e-mail-size digital photo albums.
- Create and cycle masterpiece wallpapers.
- Load, resize, and save digital camera images in a PSP-ready for...
- Automatically rotate your computer wallpaper, keeping it intere...
- View celebratory dance 3D snowflakes on your desktop.
- Automatically download wallpapers from thousands of categories ...
- Create wallpaper themes that stretch your desktop background wi...
- Display your favorite photos as desktop wallpaper.
- Edit your Facebook photos and albums from Chrome browser.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content