CNET Editors' review
Most of us have encountered online chat robots, virtual people who can hold conversations--at least sort-of--with mixed and sometimes hilarious results. Verbot lets users create their very own such robots. It takes some effort to learn how to use Verbot, and even more to create a bot that's capable of decent conversation. But if you're willing to invest some time, Verbot can be a fun and useful program.
Verbot comes with both an editor, which lets users create rules for their Verbots, and a player, which allows users to interact with their Verbots. Several sample Verbots are included so that users can get a feel for how they work and what they're capable of. Creating a Verbot that can have a reasonable approximation of a normal conversation involves creating rules about how it will respond to user inputs. This can be as simple as having the Verbot respond with a specific location when a user asks where it's from or as complex as having the Verbot parse out specific components of user inputs and respond accordingly. The built-in Help file explains how to create various kinds of rules and specify synonyms; it takes some work to get the hang of it, but it's not terribly difficult once you figure out what you're doing. In addition to verbal responses, Verbot can also launch programs and Web sites, which makes them useful as well as fun. We do wish that the Help file were more thorough and that it addressed such issues as customizing the Verbots' appearance and voices; as far as we can tell, this can only be done by downloading additional agents from a Web site. Still, Verbot is a lot of fun to play around with, and it can yield some pretty impressive results if you're willing to invest some energy into it.
Verbot comes as a ZIP file. It installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly.
A Verbot (Verbally Enhanced Software Robot) can be your personal assistant, your teacher, and friend. Verbots combine natural language, artificial intelligence, and real-time animation with voice synthesis to create engaging virtual personalities. Using XML and .NET architecture, Verbot is cutting-edge technology, and extremely user-friendly. You can easily change your character's face and voice, or create your own skins for a custom look. Verbot can run programs, read aloud to you, launch Web sites, and speak other languages.
What's new in this version: Version 18.104.22.168 is a bug-fixing release.
More Products to Consider
- Watch and record online TV Channels and listen to radio station...
- Understand your life events through astrology.
- Create, play, and print tablature scores.
- Play virtual piano with your computer's keyboard.
- Provide on-screen piano, synthesizer and MIDI controller for yo...
- Automate your Frequently Asked Questions maintenance and update...
- Download and convert videos from any Web site.
- Create a virtual human being inside your PC and watch him in sc...
- Play this guitar with your computer keyboard.
- Watch an underwater creature evolve inside your PC.
- View thousands of online TV shows, streaming channels, videos, ...
- Switch among many virtual desktops.
- Convert FLV files into popular video and audio formats, and vic...
- Take control of your virtual worlds.
- Uses Microsoft Agent to remind you of events and appointments.
- Download free music directly from your desktop.
- Get an Open Source alternative to Microsoft Agent.
- Watch real strippers stripping directly on your computer taskba...
- Download video from YouTube fast and easily.
- Monitor fantasy baseball teams' statistics and information.
- Tune up acoustic and electric guitars.
- Learn the bases of the virtual building design.
- Find and play Internet video.
- Play and record MIDI files using a virtual keyboard.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 56 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Will not install, will not run"
Version: Verbot 22.214.171.124
None although I'm sure there would be plenty if it worked.
No Help except from 2004...will not install (4 failed attempts on my Windows 7 machine)...finally installed on 5th attempt and did absolutely nothing...uninstalled and gave up. Website for developer is one of the most confusing and least helpful I have ever encountered
I could really use this for my job...I will obviously look elsewhere
"Nice change of pace....or face...lol"
Version: Verbot 126.96.36.199
I kinda enjoy this program....It's nice to see a smiling face when most of the time the faces I see are gloomy...
It did have a few programs I had to download...but when I removed them it did not effect Verbot...DO NOT REMOVE THE ENGLISH FILE YOU WILL LOSE HER VOICE...but after I went to the website and redownloaded the english voice it worked perfectly again...
I do not have the time to program such a complex interface...Using Julia just as she is...is ok for a frebe!!
I recommend downloading this program...if nothing else at least if I have a bad day...I can still be amused by this sillyness of her comebacks...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: