VLC is an open source product developed by VideoLAN Project licensed under GNU GPL v2. The VLC Media Player source code is also available for download from Download.com.
This logo or a modified version may be used or modified by anyone to refer to the VideoLAN project or any product developed by the VideoLAN team, but does not indicate endorsement by the project.
VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, and OGG, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It also can be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
What's new in this version:
- VLC 2.2.0 "Weatherwax" is a new major update of VLC.
- VLC 2.2.0 auto-rotates the videos taken from phones, to fight Vertical Video Syndrome!
- VLC now resumes where you left off in all versions
- Improves support for new HD codecs, VP9, opus and H.265/HEVC, for decoding and for encoding.
- Extensions are now downloadable from within the application.
- VLSub extension can download subtitles from the application.
- We release at the... See all new features »