CNET Editors' note: VLC is an open source product developed by VideoLAN Project licensed under GNU GPL v2. The VLC Media Player source code is also available for download from Download.com.
This logo or a modified version may be used or modified by anyone to refer to the VideoLAN project or any product developed by the VideoLAN team, but does not indicate endorsement by the project.
CNET Editors' review
What's the top media player? Opinions differ, but if you mean one that's open-source freeware, plays more files than the others, can be totally customized and configured to suit, and is not only updated frequently but also regularly offers new features and options created by a huge community of programmers and users, the answer is VLC Media Player.
Our default media player for years, VLC has managed to stay ahead of the competition in features and performance, if not always looks, though that's easy enough to fix if you want to. VLC and its source code are maintained by the all-volunteer VideoLAN Organization.
VLC is quick and easy to install. You can make VLC your default media player for various (or all) file types, but if you just want to try VLC without giving up your current player, you can skip the file associations. We clicked the familiar orange-and-white traffic cone icon to open VLC's famously plain interface, which is also a model of efficient layout design (and completely customizable, in any case: clicking the skinned player option in VideoLAN's Start Menu folder opens VLC in a sleek new view).
Effects? VLC has 'em: Audio, Video, and Synchronization effects, including a graphic equalizer with many presets; totally customizable dynamic range compression; an audio spatializer tool; AtmoLight video effects; interactive zoom; logos and overlays; and even special effects like blur, wave, water, and mirror effects. VLC's minimized interface hides the player's controls until you need them, and a raft of hot keys make it easy to toggle between views and to quickly access any of VLC's features. Playback quality is as good as it gets. We've used VLC to play MP3s, WAVs, CDs, DVDs, Flash video, and other formats. As for support, few programs of any sort can match VLC's Help files and wikis, and its dedicated community of users, forums and other online resources.
From myriad file types to playlists to codecs and video capture, if it's useful to have in a media player, VLC has probably got it or soon will. VLC plays everything: if there's a media file it can't play but should, just ask!VLC Media Player:
From VideoLAN Project:
VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, and OGG, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It also can be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
What's new in this version:
With the capabilities of "RinceWind", 2.1.2 allows experimental decoding of HEVC and Webm/VP9 (depending on the platform).
2.1.2 fixes numerous bugs, notably numerous regressions introduced in "RinceWind".
Important fixes involve Audio devices management and SPDIF on Windows and Mac OS X.
2.1.2 also improves the Windows installer and updates most translations.
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Convert any formats video to iPad, iPhone, AVCHD, Blu-Ray, DVD.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Deploy real-time live audio/video streaming server.
- Download web video and audio from millions of sites and convert...
- Search for on-demand music and videos or tune in to hundreds of...
- Extract parts of video files into various video formats.
- Play video and audio files in various popular formats.
- Record, edit, manage, and play streaming audio, voice, and musi...
- Convert your video files into various formats.
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Play media files of any type.
- Extract a part of your video files to various video formats.
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Play media playlists, video files and audio bass and plug-in fi...
- Convert MIDI files to WAV format.
- Play YouTube video files from the Web or your local folders, pl...
- Play torrent media while it is being downloaded.
- Convert your videos, audios, and pictures to preferable file fo...
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 3,526 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1