CNET Editors' review
Universal Translator is an app for the Mac that offers word and sentence translation into more than 50 languages. The Universal Translator installs in a second or two, and the interface is a model of simplicity with two panes, one for typing a word, sentence or phrase and the other for the translation. Two selectors at the top control which languages are used. Icons allow the phrases to be spoken. The software supports non-Roman alphabets and where necessary there's both the textual translation and a phonetic translation as well. There's a long list of supported languages, although not all have a spoken option. Universal Translator requires an Internet connection so it can reach Google Translate, which it used for the basis of translations.
We tested Universal Translator with the seven different languages we are fluent in, and the translations were all acceptable, and in many cases, very good or excellent. Some phrases that trip up other translation software were correctly translated by Universal Translator, which was surprising. A good example is the term "wizard," which many software packages translate as a magical person but Universal Translator sensed meant an installation assistant from the context of the sentence!
We used Universal Translator on hundreds of phrases and excerpts from books and verified each translation was acceptable. With a near 100% accuracy rate Universal Translator was impressive. Sure, it uses Google Translate, but it was easy to use and fast. We are so impressed with Universal Translator we are using it as our go-to translator. Now we need a mobile version, please.
From NibiruTech LTD.:
Translate words and even entire sentences into more than 50 different languages with Universal Translator, right from the desktop of your Mac. Translate languages supported: English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Russian, Japanese, Korean, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, Galician, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Maltese, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Romanian, Portuguese, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukranian, Vietnamese, Welsh, Yiddish Speaking languages supported: English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Russian, Japanese, Korean, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Latvian, Macedonian, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Portuguese, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Swahili, Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese, Welsh Note: Universal Translator integrates with Google Translate to provide quick and accurate translations and requires an active internet connection.
What's new in this version: In this update, we've changed the name of our Mac translator to Universal Translator. Along with the new name, we are committed to keeping Universal Translator 100% free, so tell your friends! In addition to the name change, we've also eliminated some bugs which resulted in crashing for a minority of users.
More Products to Consider
- Manage your e-book library and sync to reader devices.
- View satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, geographic...
- Google Maps desktop client for Mac.
- Classic typing instruction software.
- English-Urdu dictionary.
- Powerful mathematical language for performing scriptable tasks.
- Kids' artwork program with iLife integration.
- Translate text between 72 international languages.
- Synchronize your brainwaves to achieve a specific mood or exper...
- LaTeX editor and project organizer.
- Convert ePub to kindle, kindle to pdf, epub to azw, epub to pdf...
- Medical DICOM viewer/converter.
- Build, display, manipulate crystal and molecular structures.
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- Simulate and experiment with some of the more commonly-used pro...
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- Dictionary contains around 74,000 entries (250,000 headwords, e...
- Calculate the usual transcendental functions, including the gam...
- Dictionary contains around 83,000 entries (365,000 headwords, e...
- Vector cartography drawing app for drawing scaled plans & custo...
- Dictionary contains around 65,000 entries (240,000 headwords, e...
- 3D image processing software with DICOM/PACS support.
- Remove every obstacle to effective Bible study.
- Dictionary contains around 77,000 entries (210,000 headwords, e...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Universal Translator 2.0.1
Incredible that this is free, I never use a translator that work as well, the words and phrase can be spoken, the interface is beautiful, you can add your own entries and it's amazingly precise.
The web site —> http://www.nibirutech.com didn't work properly and I wasn't able to contact them for more infos on their software....
A hidden pearl... BRAVO!