CNET Editors' review
VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. Based on a simple, robust protocol, VNC connections let you remotely view and control one computer from another using the Internet or a private network. UltraVNC lets anyone create VNC connections between two or more PCs running its software. Freeware, actually: UltraVNC is free but powerful enough to provide customer support and remote administration. It's easy to use, as VNC packages go, but it's not really for beginners. For example, you must install the client (Viewer) on one system and the Server on another, and both PCs must allow remote access. The online documentation includes screenshots but is a bit thin in places and assumes some knowledge on the user's part. But anyone who has configured their network settings should be able to set up a VNC connection using UltraVNC. We ran UltraVNC's 64-bit version on Windows 7 PCs.
As with other VNC apps, UltraVNC has two main parts, the Viewer and the Server, and the download installs both. Setup involves creating a password and allowing UltraVNC through your firewall when you first run the Server. The Viewer also allows many options, such the level of access and control you want to allow, the display settings, and miscellaneous options such as disabling clipboard transfers. But we recommend keeping the default Auto Select Best Settings options, where they're available. You'll also need to configure each on the machine you'll be using, but it's possible to test your connections from your main PC by allowing loopback connections. If you've got things set up properly, you'll see an endless "mirror-in-mirror" view of your screen. That's the hard part, actually, and once you have UltraVNC set up properly, establishing the remote connection is easy -- as easy as the Windows home networking feature, and much more powerful.
Who needs UltraVNC? Anyone who might need to access their work or home PC remotely, for starters. Software developers can use it to issue updates; Net admins can monitor and administer users' PCs remotely (think about that the next time you have to go fix something simple on your mom's PC). Or take control of your home network.
From Ultra VNC Team:
UltraVNC is a software that can display the screen of another computer (via internet or network) on your own screen. The program allows you to use your mouse and keyboard to control the other PC remotely. It means that you can work on a remote computer, as if you were sitting in front of it, right from your current location.
If you provide computer support, you can quickly access your customer's computers from anywhere in the world and resolve help-desk issues remotely.
What's new in this version:
- auto alpha blending based on OS
- zrle deadlock fix
- tight encoding fixed
- show screenbuildup on first run
- server fix bug that crashed iexplorer 8
More Products to Consider
- Turn your laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Find and scan all computers on your network and get easy access...
- Send and receive data on Telnet, SSH, Rlogin, and Raw protocols...
- Remote control computers via the Internet, take part in online ...
- Access multiple PCs remotely from one machine.
- Setup a WiFi hotspot or wireless router on your Windows compute...
- Perform scans on predefined port ranges.
- Get remote access to graphical desktops via slow network connec...
- Surf anonymously at full broadband speed.
- Share your Internet on your laptop over WiFi.
- Access and manage remote computers.
- Connect automatically to free WiFi networks.
- Access blocked web sites via anonymous proxy.
- Get notified when your servers and PCs stop working.
- Forward data between serial ports and establish communication.
- Turn any computer with Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 i...
- Monitor and display information associated with each running pr...
- Use pure ARP to detect IP/MAC address, and control/change mac, ...
- Monitor, report, and alert on the availability and performance ...
- Copy files between a local and a remote PC using an SFTP and SC...
- Query and control remote servers or other connected network dev...
- Turn your PC into a mobile hotspot.
- Capture and analyze the traffic and protocols running on a comp...
- Manage a remote PC from your own through the Internet or your l...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 30 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Less than what you pay for"
Version: UltraVNC 188.8.131.52
free remote access for those with very low expectations
Difficult to configure
Crashes or freezes frequently
Says it supports multiple monitors but doesn't
Poor or no documentation
Waste of time unless you're desperate. This family of products has been around for a long time so I thought it would be fairly mature. Wos! It's awful. If you really need this functionality then scratch out enough for Logmein, otherwise don't bother.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: