CNET Editors' review
While most people are content to use the fonts that come with their operating system, graphic designers and other creative types often like to have a little more font-related freedom. Type Light is an easy-to-use program with which you can edit existing fonts and even create new ones from scratch. The program requires either knowledge about how to work with fonts or the patience to acquire it, but it has plenty of features for those who are willing to explore its capabilities.
In Type Light, you can start with existing fonts in the TTF or OTF format. An inset panel displays a list of each glyph contained within a particular font, and you can make manual changes to each glyph and then save your edits. You can also create fonts from scratch using a toolbar of curves, corners, lines, and shapes, and there's a drawing tool for creating glyphs freehand. It's fairly easy to get the basics of how Type Light works just by fooling around with it, but the program also comes with a 22-page PDF Help file that contains a step-by-step Getting Started guide. Although we are by no means expert at working with fonts, we found the program to be pretty straightforward to use. We did wish, though, that it were capable of undoing more than just the last action taken. Overall, we think Type Light is a great choice both for those new to the world of editing and creating fonts and for more experienced users.
Type Light installs and uninstalls without issues.
From CR8 Software Solutions:
With Type light you can design, edit, and convert OpenType TrueType (.ttf) and PostScript (.otf) fonts. Type light is free for personal and limited commercial use (you can sell your fonts provided that is not your profession). Features include convert between OpenType TrueType and OpenType PostScript fonts. Edit glyphs as TrueType or as standard PostScript curves. Create and edit fonts containing up to 65535 glyphs. Map glyphs to any Unicode character. Input OpenType metrics, names and parameters. Refer to an easy to read, color PDF manual. Obtain free support and technical assistance.
More Products to Consider
- Choose from over 4700 TrueType fonts.
- Import, export, create, and modify fonts in their native format...
- Provide your Microsoft Windows applications with 600 various fo...
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Convert between TrueType and PostScript fonts into PC fonts and...
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- View DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings.
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Organize and manage your fonts in PC.
- Manage, organize, and maintain your font collection.
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Decorate your documents, images and applications with beautiful...
- Find and test your installed fonts at once.
- Use MICR E-13B font variations in light, bold, wide, and narrow...
- Get ten Headline style OpenType fonts for Windows.
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Create, modify, and convert TrueType, OpenType, and web fonts.
- Preview, print fonts, and examine your system for font errors.
- Create Adobe PDF files with the push of a button.
- View and control installed system fonts.
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 10 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Watch out !"
Version: Type Light 3.2.019
Probably a good font editor, haven't tried it yet.
Watch out while installing. Lots of unwanted toolbars try to install into your browsers. Be sure to un-check all the boxes.
Program seems good, the problem is with C-Net's installer.