CNET Editors' review
TunnelBear for Mac enables you to access the Internet privately through a virtual private network even if you don't know much about setting up networks. The app connects quickly, can monitor data coming over the network, and comes with an accessible yet unique interface, making it one of the better apps of its kind currently available.
To start using TunnelBear for Mac you need to register an account that provides 500MB of free data, monthly. Setting up an account takes less than a minute and you'll be able to log in soon after. The first thing that we noticed about this app is the rather unique minimalistic interface with two buttons that look like the controls of a classic TV. One button lets you choose between the U.S. and U.K. VPN servers, and the other one lets you switch the service On and Off. It's that easy. Data coming across the network is constantly monitored in the main app window, where you'll also find information about the status of the connection and the remaining monthly data available. When we established connections via both servers and ran our speed tests, the overall results were satisfactory. We got around 80 percent of our regular bandwidth, but this is to be expected when using any VPN server.
TunnelBear for Mac performs well and is easy to set up and use. To fully enjoy it, however, you will likely have to upgrade your free account to a paid one that offers unlimited data for one computer plus two mobile devices. It's a small price worth paying, though.
TunnelBear provides a simple, private access to the internet. It's the easiest way to experience the internet as if you're living in another country. Inspired by an old televisions simplicity, we hide the complexity of most VPN software with a simple on/off button. TunnelBear grants you 500MBs of free data each and every month. You can also take advantage of our Twitter and Facebook promotions to get additional free data.
What's new in this version:
- Tunnel some websites, but not others with new "IntelliBear" feature
- New preferences window
More Products to Consider
- Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware t...
- Our free Antivirus for Mac keeps you safe from all the latest M...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Encrypt Dropbox, SkyDrive, Google Drive, and the Cloud files.
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Secure your privacy and maintain your anonymity while surfing t...
- A secure easy to use Password Manager, that includes a password...
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Clean a hard drive, erase a file. Easy-to-use OS X computer shr...
- Encrypt & decrypt files of all types using any key code you wan...
- Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects ...
- Encrypt and decrypt your most improtant files.
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
- Log keystrokes, passwords, IM chats, visited websites, take scr...
- Change your network card's MAC address (Ethernet).
- Protect the security and privacy of your communications.
- Protect your privacy. Stop companies from tracking your browsin...
- Lock and unlock your Mac account by using your face and track y...
- Basic firewall configuration tool.
- Secure email, storage, share, backup, IM.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Free doesn't work"
Version: TunnelBear 1.0.18
A promising alternative to Hotspot Shield... maybe.
If the free version doesn't connect, how can I be expected to trust the pay versions? I downloaded, I installed, and registered. ....... And then waited.... And waited....... and never got a connection. So, it's useless.
Take a risk on the pay version if you want. I won't. Not if the free doesn't even hook up.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content