CNET Editors' review
If it isn't enough to chat with friends from Google, MySpace IM, Skype, and Facebook, as well as AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC on Trillian't multinetwork IM app, you can comfortably count the app's deep hooks into Twitter and Facebook alerts and checking e-mail (both POP3 and IMAP varieties) as reasons for switching from your current messenger.
Among its best social networking traits, Trillian will automatically shorten URLs in your tweets, and handle direct messages, re-tweets, and replies. Twitter Trends can show up in your contact list, and you can get tweets to appear in tooltip form. Facebook features include news feed integration, Facebook in-box checking, and synchronized message updating in addition to Facebook IM. Just on these features alone, Trillian Astra offers a bit more than its IM competitors.
In addition, there's support for drag-and-drop file transferring, skins, notifications, and all sorts of tweaking in the preference menu. Trillian earns a thumbs-up for previewing a Web site when you hover the cursor over a URL in the conversation window, but the same feature is less effective and less accurate when applied to looking up definitions of terms found within the chat window (luckily, you can turn the helpers off.)
Legacy users will be pleased to know that Trillian Astra (code for version 4.0 and up) runs lighter than previous versions, and you're less likely to notice system slowdowns because of memory leaks. Video chat gets basic support. The paid upgrade gives you browser-based IM from Trillian.im, full-screen video and filters, many more visual customizations, multiple simultaneous file transfer, and themes, as well as tech support. These features are available for the first 30 days you use the free version, then they deactivate. The biggest changes, besides the reskinned interface, are the long-needed performance improvements and support for a broad range of IM protocols. Longtime fans won't be disappointed with the changes, though those using the free version clearly won't get the full effect of Trillian's more-advanced features.Trillian:
From Cerulean Studios:
Trillian is a free fully featured, stand-alone, skinnable chat client that supports chatting on Windows Live, Facebook, Yahoo, MySpace, AIM, Email, Google Talk, Skype, ICQ, Jabber, IRC, and Bonjour. It also helps manage your social networks such as Facebook and Twitter. Trillian provides capabilities not possible with most original network clients, while supporting standard features such as audio and video chat, file transfers, group chats, buzzing, tabbed chats, tablet-based drawing, message history, plugins, avatars, multiple simultaneous connections to the same network, typing notifications, proxy support, and encrypted messaging.
More Products to Consider
- Chat with all your Facebook friends directly from your Desktop.
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Chat with your Facebook friends and exchange instant messages w...
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Keep in touch with all your friends in one place.
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Join live-video chat rooms from around the world.
- Call, video call, and chat for free.
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Add thousands of cool effects to webcam video for live video ch...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add a virtual webcam with amazing video effects to your video c...
- Communicate within the company through LAN.
- Get notified to the email alerts and create custom notification...
- Connect and share instantly on the worlds most popular IM netwo...
- Add a virtual Webcam for video chats software such as Skype, MS...
- Repair, remove SIM restrictions from, and unlock various cell p...
- Transfer files with flexible configuration and support for SFTP...
- Update Eudora's mailbox table of content or mailbox files.
- Create and update effective test cases and manage software test...
- Detect intruders with Webcams in your room and be alerted by e-...
- Chat online and share files using a full-featured IRC client.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 1,835 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Full of Adware"
Version: Trillian 184.108.40.206
Don't know, I didn't launch it for the following reasons.
Full of malware. The download came with several browser add ons and adware which I didn't agree to download and was not told of. Absolutely disappointed that cnet allows this program on here.
Absolutely do not install this program, it's crawling with unwanted programs. Pretty much everyone's on Gtalk or Facebook anyway.
"Badly designed, temperamental, unreliable"
Version: Trillian 220.127.116.11
There may be some, but if you can't rely on it and it doesn't work properly, what's the point?
- Doesn't always notify you when you have a new message
- Delays messages from being sent
- Unreliable quality of call/connection
Don't use. Simple as that. Choose a better alternative, of which there are many.