CNET Editors' review
In the world of Notepad replacements, Tiny Pad gives users some solid basic features and a couple of unique ones, too. It incorporates a tabbed interface for juggling multiple notepads, it can load on Windows start-up, and it comes with a thorough set of hot keys for keeping your hands on the keyboard.
It also boasts a hot corners feature. It's on by default, so if the program's running but not the top window, moving your mouse to either the top-left or top-right corner will bring Tiny Pad to the front. Impressively, it will auto-save your notes, and comes with an archiving feature. You can still save notes separately to your hard drive, but the archive lets you keep them all in Tiny Pad--just out of sight. There are some concerns about making this data portable, but it's a good feature nonetheless. The toolbar can be hidden, a nice plus that mostly makes up for the Mac theme on this Windows program.
Tiny Pad lacks hooks into Windows' default Notepad, and isn't as robust as some of the Notepad replacements designed for programmers. The installer is a ZIP, which adds an extraction step that this program shouldn't have. The installer package itself clocks in at around 4MB, but used a surprisingly large amount of RAM--nearly 30MB when running with two tabs. This didn't affect the program's performance, but was larger than expected given the program's name. Size isn't everything, though, and Tiny Pad's features make it an appealing alternative worth checking out.
From TinyPad Team:
Tiny Pad is a very light-weight application that serves as a stylish note-taking buddy. Its slick design makes you want to use it more and more. Its main feature is that it automatically saves your notes as you type, so you don't need to perform a "Save As..." routine for each new pad. It allows archiving of pads to keep your newest ones fresh and clear, without losing the ones you're not heavily using at the moment. Tiny Pad becomes indispensable once you start using it, you'll see why.
Keep your notes backed up online for free. Now you can quickly access TinyPad by swifting your mouse cursor to your screen's left-corner: TinyPad is always there when you need it. There's no need to click on anything to bring your faithful companion next to you.
What's new in this version: Version 3.0.1 is a bug fixing release.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Try a simple notepad that is always on top.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Record short memos and copy a favorite sentence to your Web sit...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Get a text editor with syntax highlighting feature.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Store notes, ideas, and other snippets of information.
- Use a notepad alternative with built-in text encryption support...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Create, edit, and display notes on your desktop.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Use this tool which sits on your desktop and when you need to n...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Create and edit text files.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Make notes and print or send them to other users.
- Open any text file, edit it, then send it with this multifeatur...
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Edit text in a light notepad replacement with many innovative f...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: TinyPad 2.0
Very simple to install. The interface is stylish and the program is very light-weight and fast! Their support is AWESOME! I downloaded it from their website. It's really rare to find such great customer support for a free product.
I wish there was text formatting. It DOES support rich text when you paste it, but you cannot format the text on your own. Apparently it will be in the next version (and they promised they will notify me as soon as it is ready, great support again)
It is a very light software, it stays silently in your systray next to the clock, and only comes in when you call. How many times do we all need a pad just to write things in? You simply have to open it and start typing while you are taking that message over the phone, without worrying if your text is being saved or not, because it is!
two thumbs up for this great thing, I can't wait for the next release!