Editors' Note: Clicking on the Download Now (Visit Site) button above will open a connection to a third-party site. Download.com cannot completely ensure the security of the software hosted on third-party sites.
TinkerTool is an application that gives you access to additional preference settings Apple has built into Mac OS X. This allows to activate hidden features in the operating system and in some of the applications delivered with the system.
The tool makes sure that preference changes can only affect the current user. You don't need administrative privileges to use the tool. With this design, it is no problem to use TinkerTool in professional networks where users have restricted permissions. The program will never change any component of the operating system, so the integrity of your system is not put at risk, and there will be no negative effect on system updates.
All preference settings changed by TinkerTool can be reset to Apple's defaults, or to the state that existed before using the tool. No dangerous background processes are used for TinkerTool's operation.
Because TinkerTool only gives you access to settings already built into Mac OS X, its feature set varies greatly between different operating system versions. For details please refer to the feature table at the developer's site.
What's new in this version:
- Added new setting to block access to the Preferences window of the Finder.
- Added new setting to block access to the Empty Trash function of the Finder.
- Added new setting to disable the delay for showing the Dock when the Dock is set to hide automatically.
- Added new setting to control the blink rate of the text insertion marker.
- Added new setting to enable a key co... See all new features »