CNET Editors' review
For laptop users, or for any user performing machine-intensive tasks, it might be reassuring to access temperature data directly from the machine sensors to see how the computer handles temperature increases and stays cool under any workload. With this idea in mind, ThermoInDock for Mac attempts to help you, but doesn't really succeed.
The app mainly consists of a dynamic dock icon that can show you real-time temperature information regarding your machine. We found the default transition rather eye-catching and a little disturbing. It is nice to have this information at hand, but you certainly don't want it to draw your eye every time it moves its display from one sensor to another. Furthermore, you cannot choose which data to display, which is rather disappointing. The program simply cycles trough all available temp sensors that it can find on your machine. If you are only interested in two sensors, say GPU and CPU, then you are out of luck with ThermoInDock for Mac. Having to wait to see what you want is pointless for an app designed to have information readily available. Also, the sensor names are not resolved, and their technical names are far from self-explanatory. To add to an already crowded list of required improvements, we also encountered a blank and unresponsive icon after a few hours of use, which rendered the software useless until we got it fixed.
The idea of having temperature information constantly on your dock is interesting, but poor implementation and bugs make ThermoInDock for Mac more irritating than useful to use. Alternatives do exist and provide a better solution than this software does at the moment.
From Takashi T. Hamada:
ThermoInDock displays graphs of temperatures obtained from the internal thermal sensors on your Mac in the Dock. ThermoInDock employs the module system to provide a great variety of appearances of graph of the CPU load in the Dock.
What's new in this version:
- [Fixed] Visible state of the graph window won't be saved.
More Products to Consider
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Detect and download updates for all of your installed software.
- Multifunctional utility for Mac OS X.
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Online backup using Amazon S3.
- Versatile file search tool based upon Apple's powerful Spotligh...
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- View your CPU load in the dock.
- Make simple changes to a single object, and then repeat those c...
- Make Spaces on Leopard a bit more tolerable.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Assign your hotkeys.
- Display how much data has traveled over networks.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Synchronize and back up your files/folders.
- Run a screen saver on your desktop without the normal limitatio...
- Share media files with a KiSS DVD/DiVX player.
- Search for, uninstall applications and more.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content