CNET Editors' review
For laptop users, or for any user performing machine-intensive tasks, it might be reassuring to access temperature data directly from the machine sensors to see how the computer handles temperature increases and stays cool under any workload. With this idea in mind, ThermoInDock for Mac attempts to help you, but doesn't really succeed.
The app mainly consists of a dynamic dock icon that can show you real-time temperature information regarding your machine. We found the default transition rather eye-catching and a little disturbing. It is nice to have this information at hand, but you certainly don't want it to draw your eye every time it moves its display from one sensor to another. Furthermore, you cannot choose which data to display, which is rather disappointing. The program simply cycles trough all available temp sensors that it can find on your machine. If you are only interested in two sensors, say GPU and CPU, then you are out of luck with ThermoInDock for Mac. Having to wait to see what you want is pointless for an app designed to have information readily available. Also, the sensor names are not resolved, and their technical names are far from self-explanatory. To add to an already crowded list of required improvements, we also encountered a blank and unresponsive icon after a few hours of use, which rendered the software useless until we got it fixed.
The idea of having temperature information constantly on your dock is interesting, but poor implementation and bugs make ThermoInDock for Mac more irritating than useful to use. Alternatives do exist and provide a better solution than this software does at the moment.
From Takashi T. Hamada:
ThermoInDock displays graphs of temperatures obtained from the internal thermal sensors on your Mac in the Dock. ThermoInDock employs the module system to provide a great variety of appearances of graph of the CPU load in the Dock.
What's new in this version:
- [Fixed] Visible state of the graph window won't be saved.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Weather station reflecting weather in a living world.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Monitor and log all the temperatures and fan speeds inside your...
- Convert between metric, imperial, U.S. conventional, and other ...
- Convert between metric and U.S. standard measurements.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- View temperatures in cities throughout the world on your deskto...
- Convert a temperature between various units.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Data recovery software.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- Scaling and ratio calculator.
- Place an alarm clock on your desktop and use your audio files a...
- Volume, area and surface area calculator.
- Mac to Pocket PC sync software.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content