CNET Editors' note: The download button opens the iTunes App Store, where you may continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed with an active iTunes account in order to download and install the software. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
The Weather Channel is a free weather-monitoring application that provides many more features than Apple's built-in Weather app. Released first in 2008, the app recently received a complete overhaul to the interface, adding features that make it even easier to check weather conditions wherever you are.
You can find paid weather applications that are more specialized, but The Weather Channel (sponsored by the cable channel of the same name) offers the features most people want in a weather app. You can view forecasts (hourly, 36-hour, and 10-day outlooks), quick access to Weather Channel local and regional video forecasts, severe weather alerts, and a dynamic map, which you can use to see everything from rainfall to "feels like" temperatures and the UV index. You can also set favorites and go back to recent locations which makes The Weather Channel a little more useful on GPS-enabled devices.
Version 5.0 brings with it a complete overhaul to the interface. The new layout offers an elegant Home screen, adorned with wallpaper that matches the current conditions (blue skies, rain, and snow,), lets you swipe between locations, search for other cities, and toggle a drop-down box filled with details like wind, humidity, visibility, and the UV index. Especially useful is the ability to swipe directly to the weather information specific to your area (using what TWC calls TruPoint forecasting technology), giving you the weather not just for your region, but an accurate forecast for your actual location.
The only drawback to The Weather Channel app is an ad banner across the top of every screen. Unfortunately, Weather Channel Max (the $3.99 paid version) has not yet been updated with the new interface. So while you'll lose the ads by paying, you may have to wait awhile for the Max app to be updated so you can take advantage of the new interface layout.
Hard-core weather junkies won't find everything they want here, but The Weather Channel app is a great option for planning your week, staying dry, and deciding what to pack for a trip. Anyone who wants a better weather app for the iPhone or a big upgrade to the existing interface should download this app immediately.
What's new in this version: - Improved 15-minute forecasts within your Hourly view- EXPECT RAIN tab on your Now screen. If snow, rain or thunderstorms start or change in the next 6 hours the EXPECT RAIN tab appears to let you know - Cleaner design for faster navigation to your live radar and maps, the latest videos, and local pollen levels- New video player with enhanced viewing experience- Bug fixes and performance enhancements - Improved severe weather alerts
More Products to Consider
- Combines stunning photos with the most accurate forecasts with ...
- Logitech Vid HD is the fast and easy way to make HD video calls...
- Be annoy to unzip compressed files especially RAR files in your...
- Make your phone a cloud-based security camera.
- IPhoto 11 gets a whole new look with stunning full-screen views...
- Download free movies and free music at 5x max speed 5x Speed Do...
- Lunchbox is Pinterest for food.We'll help you discover new food...
- In The ClueFinders 3rd Grade Adventures, children solve individ...
- Monitor your home and your loved ones from anywhere with your i...
- Monitor your home and office and playback the recorded data.
- *** WINNER - Children's Technology Review Editor's Choice Award...
- Mavis Beacon's avatar is so realistic in the new 2011 Ultimate ...
- Find thousands of free recipes from our food and drink app so y...
- Intellicast HD raises the bar for interactive real-time weather...
- Mediterranean Grill app allows you to place an order for carry ...
- Southern Spice AU provides online ordering for food takeaway an...
- Ever wonder how to get access to all of those awesome Emoji ico...
- It has only been 60 days since this app is released and it has ...
- Rubys Chillies of India provides online ordering for food takea...
- The Zombie Strategies Prepare app is a practical approach to se...
- == Now with optional Hurricane Tracking upgrade ==Thanks to eve...
- All Rice Thai Food provides online ordering for food takeaway a...
- Explore English Canadas first settlement with the Cupids400 app...
- Simple app for viewing animated hi-resolution weather radar ima...
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Could not even "get out of the gate". Wasted my time"
Version: The Weather Channel 5.2.0
NONE, but "looks" nice...
iTune link presented problems and could not even download.
Why only IPHONE if I can't get it to work.
Wasted my time
Version: The Weather Channel 4.1.1
Has much of the weather data I needs except tide info.
Annoying ads popping up all the time. (This is the same with their web site.)
"Weather and more"
Version: The Weather Channel 3.1.2
More information than other weather apps. Easy to use.
Most comprehensive weather app for the price. (free)
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: