The Levelator is software that runs on Windows, OS X (universal binary) or Linux that adjusts the audio levels within your podcast or other audio file for variations from one speaker to the next, for example. It's not a compressor, normalizer or limiter although it contains all three. It's much more than those tools, and it's much simpler to use. The UI is dirt-simple: Drag-and-drop any WAV or AIFF file onto The Levelator's application window, and a few moments later you'll find a new version which just sounds better.
What's new in this version:
- If an .mp4 file was submited it was reported as an .mp3 file. (Neither are accepted by The Levelator.)
- Attempts to Levelate compressed files (ie, other than WAV, AIFF, etc.) are now detected and reported in a more friendly manner.
- If the source file can't be opened (eg, due to a permissions problem) a better error message is displayed.
- "New Version" alerts are now displayed even for minor updates if specified on our servers.
- When installing a new versi... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Save YouTube videos in MP3 format.
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Convert your music to WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, OGG or Apple Lossles...
- Digital video editing system.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- IPod song, video & playlist sync in 2 directions.
- Leq (Long-Term Equivalent Level) audio analyzer.
- Audio enhancement, filters, and effects.
- Helps you easily create professional-quality video presentation...
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Real-time video studio for professional VJs.
- Visual time-tracking and productivity management.
- Batch convert MIDI files to a number of formats.
- Displays held keys while taking screenshots.
- Real-time stereo level meter with clip indicator.
- Video logging & media cataloging.
- Blog editor designed for speed & ease of use.
- Calculate audio file sizes.
- Music notation with MIDI input & part extraction.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"A very useful tool for enhancing audio files."
Version: The Levelator 2.1.1
If you're not an audio engineer, say more of a creative type but not necessarily having great audio production skills, this more or less does the work for you. Very cool utility that's very easy to use.
It CAN heighten unwanted audio artifacts. After "Levelating" a voiceover, I always listen to it all the way through as you may encounter an occasional "blip" post process.
I was turned on to this by an LA voiceover guy who is crazy talented. In his words, "I don't send out any audtions until I run them through The Levelator."
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: