The Levelator is software that runs on Windows, OS X (universal binary) or Linux that adjusts the audio levels within your podcast or other audio file for variations from one speaker to the next, for example. It's not a compressor, normalizer or limiter although it contains all three. It's much more than those tools, and it's much simpler to use. The UI is dirt-simple: Drag-and-drop any WAV or AIFF file onto The Levelator's application window, and a few moments later you'll find a new version which just sounds better.
What's new in this version:
- If an .mp4 file was submited it was reported as an .mp3 file. (Neither are accepted by The Levelator.)
- Attempts to Levelate compressed files (ie, other than WAV, AIFF, etc.) are now detected and reported in a more friendly manner.
- If the source file can't be opened (eg, due to a permissions problem) a better error message is displayed.
- "New Version" alerts are now displayed even for minor updates if specified on our servers.
- When installing a new versi... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Music notation with MIDI input & part extraction.
- Scheduling component for Radiologik DJ.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Leq (Long-Term Equivalent Level) audio analyzer.
- Automated radio DJ assistant.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Create multilayer audio loops with adjustments and effects.
- Visual time-tracking and productivity management.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Mix the music.
- Displays held keys while taking screenshots.
- Calculate audio file sizes.
- Record any sound playing through sound card, microphone, or bot...
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Blog editor designed for speed & ease of use.
- Real-time stereo level meter with clip indicator.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"A very useful tool for enhancing audio files."
Version: The Levelator 2.1.1
If you're not an audio engineer, say more of a creative type but not necessarily having great audio production skills, this more or less does the work for you. Very cool utility that's very easy to use.
It CAN heighten unwanted audio artifacts. After "Levelating" a voiceover, I always listen to it all the way through as you may encounter an occasional "blip" post process.
I was turned on to this by an LA voiceover guy who is crazy talented. In his words, "I don't send out any audtions until I run them through The Levelator."
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: