CNET Editors' review
Tax Assistant for Excel is a set of Excel worksheets that assist users in completing their income taxes using forms 1040 or 1040A. We're not sure why a user would want to use Excel for taxes when there are so many programs and Web sites that are better-suited to the job, and functional problems in Tax Assistant for Excel make it even less attractive.
The workbook presents users with Excel versions of IRS forms and workbooks with an introductory page that's supposed to provide instructions. Unfortunately, we kept receiving error messages about macros (although we had enabled macros in Excel), and clicking the arrows to expand the instructions resulted in a message about protected sheets. Although we suppose it would be possible to complete our taxes using the workbook anyway--it does come with PDFs of the official IRS instructions--in the end, we just didn't see the point. There are plenty of programs and Web sites that will walk users through the tax preparation process, make sure that users maximize their refunds (or minimize their liabilities), and then file the tax return electronically. Excel is a comparatively low-tech way to prepare one's taxes, and though this program may have been a good idea in the days before electronic filing was available, it's all but obsolete now.
Tax Assistant has a 10-day trial period. It installs and uninstalls without issues. We do not recommend this program; there are many more-efficient ways to do your taxes.
From DJI Computer Solutions:
Tax Assistant for Excel is a custom application written for Microsoft Excel and requires Microsoft Excel 2007/2010/2013 or higher. It simplifies your Federal Income Tax preparation by providing Excel workbooks with IRS approved substitute forms for Form 1040 along with the most commonly used Schedules and Worksheets as well as complete tax table and tax schedule calculation. Your sources of income, capital gains and deductions are entered on separate worksheets. The data from these worksheets is then automatically entered into the correct forms. Tax Assistant for Excel helps you determine whether to itemize deductions and provides a computerized record of your tax filing. Even if you use another full featured tax package to prepare you tax return, Tax Assistant for Excel provides a permanent copy of your tax return in the universal common Excel file format.
What's new in this version: Version 5.2 was updated for the 2013 tax year and adds improved capital gains reporting.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Allocate income, deductions, and credits to up to 2 shareholder...
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Prepare your tax return online and print or e-file it.
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Fill in and calculate IRS Form 1065, Partnership income tax ret...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Provide IRS Form W-4 with electronic signature in PDF format.
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Calculate data in IRS Form 1040EZ 2009.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Prepare tax forms by yourself and get deserved deductions or cr...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Get a self-calculating IRS form in PDF format.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Import data, match trades, generate schedule D in XLS and TXF f...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Prepare and print your U.S. tax return.
- Prepare the pages of federal form 1120, Corporation Income Tax ...
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1