CNET Editors' review
Tax Assistant for Excel is a set of Excel worksheets that assist users in completing their income taxes using forms 1040 or 1040A. We're not sure why a user would want to use Excel for taxes when there are so many programs and Web sites that are better-suited to the job, and functional problems in Tax Assistant for Excel make it even less attractive.
The workbook presents users with Excel versions of IRS forms and workbooks with an introductory page that's supposed to provide instructions. Unfortunately, we kept receiving error messages about macros (although we had enabled macros in Excel), and clicking the arrows to expand the instructions resulted in a message about protected sheets. Although we suppose it would be possible to complete our taxes using the workbook anyway--it does come with PDFs of the official IRS instructions--in the end, we just didn't see the point. There are plenty of programs and Web sites that will walk users through the tax preparation process, make sure that users maximize their refunds (or minimize their liabilities), and then file the tax return electronically. Excel is a comparatively low-tech way to prepare one's taxes, and though this program may have been a good idea in the days before electronic filing was available, it's all but obsolete now.
Tax Assistant has a 10-day trial period. It installs and uninstalls without issues. We do not recommend this program; there are many more-efficient ways to do your taxes.
From DJI Computer Solutions:
Tax Assistant for Excel is a custom application written for Microsoft Excel and requires Microsoft Excel 2007/2010/2013 or higher. It simplifies your Federal Income Tax preparation by providing Excel workbooks with IRS approved substitute forms for Form 1040 along with the most commonly used Schedules and Worksheets as well as complete tax table and tax schedule calculation. Your sources of income, capital gains and deductions are entered on separate worksheets. The data from these worksheets is then automatically entered into the correct forms. Tax Assistant for Excel helps you determine whether to itemize deductions and provides a computerized record of your tax filing. Even if you use another full featured tax package to prepare you tax return, Tax Assistant for Excel provides a permanent copy of your tax return in the universal common Excel file format.
What's new in this version: Version 5.1 was updated for the 2012 tax year and adds improved capital gains and Schedule E reporting.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert Adobe PDF file to MS Word file format.
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Create and manage your invoices, quotes and manage inventory an...
- Create and manage databases with graphical interface.
- Create, view, edit and share word, spreadsheet and presentation...
- Show the classic menus and toolbar on Microsoft Excel.
- Manage SQL databases with graphical interface.
- Extract Outlook attachments into files on a schedule.
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Create and manage the membership database for any Chamber of Co...
- Keep track of books, magazines, videos, CDs and other media.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Export all the images from your PowerPoint presentations.
- Show the classic menus and toolbar on Microsoft Word.
- Control your personal budget with the ability to import your tr...
- Helps ease using Excel spreadsheet math to make it simplier.
- Create and print handouts on PowerPoint.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1