CNET Editors' review
Simplicity can be a good thing, but in the case of this program to manage encrypted TrueCrypt files, a lack of thoughtful design proves frustrating.
TCExplorer doesn't install to your computer. You just run the executable file to use it. The interface is nothing more than a small window with a limited File menu. It doesn't need a multipage user manual, but a couple of lines to explain the program would be a real help. The File menu holds only three options: Open, Close, and Quit. Open pulls up a file browser, but there's no limit to the type of files it shows. Since the program only works on files encrypted by another open-source program, TrueCrypt, it would be a nice touch if it only displayed those files. Once you select a file you'll be prompted for a password. Although the publisher's brief description implies you can manage encrypted files with the program, the simple fact is that it's merely a mechanism to open a TrueCrypt vault. The only other features of TCExplorer are found in the confusing Options menu, which has two straightforward settings to keep the program on top and save window position. The other settings are all related to temporary files, but they use seemingly unnecessary shorthand that obscures the exact meaning. "Secure delete temp files" is one example. Is there an -ly missing from secure? We thought so, but we frankly wondered how much effort would it have taken to just spell that out. If these options are related to TrueCrypt files, it would be nice to have that spelled out as well.
If you want to manage TrueCrypt files, we suggest you use the program that created them and skip this redundant program altogether.
From Yap Chun Wei:
TCExplorer is portable software to import, export, delete, rename, view, edit, and execute files in TrueCrypt containers without requiring administrative privileges. The purpose of this software is to overcome this limitation of TrueCrypt by providing an interface, similar to compression and decompression software.
What's new in this version: Version 1.6 has added "Restore Defaults" button to Temporary Directory options and added "Delete temp dir now" under File menu to delete the temporary directory immediately.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Browse and extract data from backup file of Nokia phone.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Perform conversion of video files between various formats.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Transfer, access, share and synchronize files online.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect and control your e-mail, passwords, and important files...
- Convert video files into 3GP/MP4/AVI formats for playing on you...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Browse the contents of jar files located on your PC.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Interact, manage, and explore your files in a virtual 3D enviro...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- View different types of files from within Windows Explorer.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Decompress or extract RAR files.
- Alter voices and the pitch of audio files, without changing the...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Find out which process is locking your file.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Works with obsolete versions of truecrypt only"
Version: TCExplorer 1.4
Used to work with Truecrypt
Doesn't work with the any recent version of Truecrypt - only old, obsolete versions
FreeOTFE Explorer (http://www.FreeOTFE.org/) has more functionality and a more intuitive user interface.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: