CNET Editors' review
Open-source and usable across platforms, this utility application lets you share a single mouse and keyboard across more than one computer at a time. Even though Synergy for Mac is an easy-to-use utility concept, it could use some additional improvements with its setup process and execution.
Upon downloading and installing Synergy for Mac, the user will find that the mouse and keyboard sharing concept is based on the user's knowledge and ability to either set up a server for all the computers that will be sharing or to access a client base already established. Synergy could have done a better job facilitating an easier, more guided and descriptive setup and for its users, though. Once we completed setup on a local server, we were able to share our mouse and keyboard between our desktop and our MacBook, but the transference of the keyboard inputs between the two screens, and separate applications being used at the time, created some lag time. We only had this problem with the keyboard inputs, though. Synergy is a free application but the developers encourage the purchase of Premium accounts to support the project. It is not clear what the user gets if they contribute less than $10, but for a contribution of $10 they can get a premium vote that they are able to cast on any feature or bug that needs fixing.
Overall, Synergy for Mac seems to be suitable for individuals needing more than one computer to work with at a time because it allows users to eliminate the hassle of using separate mice and keyboards for separate systems.
From The Synergy Project:
Synergy is Free and Open Source Software that lets you easily share your mouse and keyboard between multiple computers, where each computer has it's own display. No special hardware is required, all you need is a local area network. Synergy is supported on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
What's new in this version: Fixed Bugs:
Bug #3565 - Encryption fails when typing fast (Invalid message from client)
Bug #3606 - GUI is elevated after setup
Bug #3572 - Mac caps lock causes disconnect
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Data recovery software.
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- File upload applet that runs in a web page.
- Allow your computer to speak for your using a variety of voices...
- Improve the content delivery of your Web servers.
- Cross platform, networkable clipboard sharing utility.
- Universal .rar and .zip file opener.
- Powerful, easy to use proxy server (listed as 2.5).
- Shows accessible temp sensors.
- Updated for Mac OS X Snow Leopard to migrate to Lion.
- Play a game as a hacker with company or organization passwords ...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"1 mouse, MANY computers"
Version: Synergy 1.3.7
It works well to allow control of mustiple machines from one interface.
The ONLY troublesome issue is that you can only control things from ONE spot. (So I have figured things.. please correct me if I am wrong! pasha AT svaha DOT com!)
I am surprised that Apple has not gotten this software wrapped up in ALL f it's systems.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content