CNET Editors' review
Surf Anonymously Free hides your identity online by replacing your Internet connection's regular IP with an anonymous IP that changes regularly. Hackers, identity thieves, and other would-be threats can't see your real ID or location, and neither can those creepy ads that know what you've been looking at. We've tried similar utilities, but they slowed down our browsing enough that we simply stopped using them. But two things have happened: 1) Online threats to your privacy and security have gotten bigger, meaner, and nastier; and 2) global Internet connections have gotten way faster. Some of the newer safe surfing services we've tried have nearly kept up with our broadband connection, so we thought we'd try Surf Anonymously Free, which is free but limited to U.S.-only IPs. To use Surf Anonymously Free from a non-U.S. IP or to disguise a U.S. address as a foreign IP, a Pro version is available.
Surf Anonymously Free's user interface is about the size of a media player, but that's fine with us since it's small enough to keep open in a corner of your desktop. The program displayed national flags and IP addresses for two locations in numerals large enough to be seen at a glance: Our Real IP address, including our city and country, and the Fake IP Surf Anonymously Free showed to online snoops. Clicking "Check IP Info" opened a Web page proving that our Internet connection displayed the Fake IP. "Select Fake Location" opened a page of national flags we could sail under, but only by upgrading to the Pro version.
Surf Anonymously Free hid our IP, but what about speed? We opened some bandwidth tests to see if using the Fake IP slowed our connection. As we expected, it did, but nowhere near as much as we feared it would, at least most of the time. We had to reselect our location for each bandwidth test, too, so obviously our real location was hidden. We had plenty of opportunities to upgrade from Surf Anonymously Free to Surf Anonymously Pro, but unless you need or want an international IP, the freeware does the job.
From Surf Anonymous Free:
Surf Anonymous Free is a free Internet utility that provides anonymity to your Web surfing by hiding your IP address, thereby protecting you from the vulnerabilities associated with it. Surf Anonymous Free connects to our servers and gets a new, stable, and fast working IP location called proxy. Then it puts that information in your browser such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Opera. Your real IP address and location will become inaccessible. So you can browse with completely concealed identity.
What's new in this version: Version 22.214.171.124 is a bug fixing release.
More Products to Consider
- Hide your IP to protect your privacy on the Internet.
- Surf the Web anonymously bypassing firewalls and Web site censo...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Hide your IP address and surf the Internet anonymously.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect the user's privacy on the Internet by encrypting transm...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Tunnel TCP over HTTP .
- Surf the Internet without revealing your IP address.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect your privacy and anonymity while surfing the Internet.
- Delete browser traces and hide your identity while surfing the ...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your real IP while surfing the Internet to protect your pr...
- Surf the Internet anonymously via encrypted VPN.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Use a toolbar to easily manage, switch between proxy configurat...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect your privacy and insure your anonymity with a easy to u...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 150 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Version: Surf Anonymous Free 126.96.36.199
None. I don't know if it hides your IP, it doesn't interface well with Chrome.They don't tell you that.
The version I downloaded last week was infected with a Trojan horse. It took me a full day to get all the junk out of my computer. I ended up having to run System Restore after I eliminated it with RogueKiller, as it messed with Explorer.
There are other VPNs out there. I like Hot Spot Shield. This one is insistent upon trying to get back into the registry. I am having a hard time getting rid of it entirely, but my anti-malware keeps it from getting in. Use this one at your own risk, it has a huge virus.
Version: Surf Anonymous Free 188.8.131.52
None.... well it did correctly identify my IP address!
Gives a FALSE sense of security/anonymity.
Takes up space on my hard drive.
Using the latest Firefox browser (Version 22) this software does nothing.
My IP address is still clearly visible when visiting several IP checks including this one:
Going by it's rating, the other versions must have worked worked, but I can see nothing good that this software is doing.
"Didn't work for me"
Version: Surf Anonymous Free 184.108.40.206
If it doesn't work, how can there be a pro?
Tried to watch videos on hulu and hgtv, didn't fool them. Consistently said, "Video not available".
"Does not work well with Chrome. Better with IE."
Version: Surf Anonymous Free 220.127.116.11
Does a good job with everything but not in Chrome.
Jams up chrome.
"Even the PRO version Ain't hiding!"
Version: Surf Anonymous Free 18.104.22.168
I paid only $25 (50% discount.) which means I lost only $25.
1. GRC.COM detected my true IP immediately.
2. Browsing became extremely slow, and most often than not, the browser gave up.
Not ready for PrimeTime yet.
"does not WORK!"
Version: Surf Anonymous Free 22.214.171.124
none at all
everything, it doesn't even work
It would not connect to some sites at all. I checked my IP online and Surf Anonymous was NOT hiding my real IP address. The software simply lies to you. But you can have more features and options for $39.99, bleep off. This is NOT FREE.
"Anonymously surf the web"
Version: Surf Anonymous Free 126.96.36.199
Protect your identity when online;
Allow you to visit restricted websites in your area;
Extremely easy to use.
Only US IP address for use in trial version;
Little slow when using fake IP address to surf.
A good program, worth to have a try.
"AWFUL! unable to connect to the net 90% of the time"
Version: Surf Anonymous Free 188.8.131.52
When it works, which is rarely because I can't connect to the internet with it, it works as described.
"webpage won't load" "unable to connect to the internet" "unable to connect to the proxy server" etc. etc.....
Even when not running, my internet speed is cut in half since installing.
Using the paid "pro" version. What a piece of crap. I want my money back!
"keep my website safe"
Version: Surf Anonymous Free 184.108.40.206
The software does a good job. It hides my IP address easily. That makes my private info safe.
And it's easy. The interface is very sample.
I will look for them.
"surf the internet anonymously"
Version: Surf Anonymous Free 220.127.116.11
Hide my IP real address fast, and make my personal information really private.
Really a good app.
I am using it, and annoying messages are as far away from me as possible.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content