CNET Editors' review
It's a cliche to say it, but sometimes less really is more. That's definitely the case with Sumatra PDF Viewer. This lightweight program lets you view PDFs without a lot of extra features that slow things down. It has all the basics you need and none of the fluff that you don't. If you're frustrated by the clunkiness of some of the big-name PDF viewers, this could be exactly what you've been looking for.
The program has a plain, intuitive interface, with a few menus and a toolbar across the top. The basic PDF viewer options are here: you can zoom in and out and select single page, facing page, or book views. The program also lets you rotate pages and view PDFs in full screen or presentation modes. A search box lets you locate text within PDFs, and there's even an option that will launch your default e-mail application and let you automatically attach the PDF to a new e-mail. An online Help file provides a list of keyboard shortcuts that make the program's operation even easier. Sumatra PDF Viewer is small enough to fit on a USB drive, ensuring that you can view PDFs easily wherever you go. Overall, we think that Sumatra PDF Viewer is a great alternative to larger PDF programs, and anyone looking for a sleek and simple PDF viewer should give it a try.
Sumatra PDF Viewer installs politely but leaves a folder behind upon removal.
From Krzysztof Kowalczyk:
Sumatra PDF is a open-source PDF viewer for Windows. Sumatra has a minimalistic design. Simplicity has a higher priority than a lot of features. It's small and starts up very fast. It's designed for portable use: it's just one file with no external dependencies so you can easily run it from external USB drive. You can read PDF, eBook (ePub, Mobi), XPS, DjVu, CHM, and comic books.
What's new in this version:
- Full-screen mode for ebooks (Ctrl-L)
- New key bindings:
- F9 - show/hide menu (not remembered after quitting)
- F8 - show/hide toolbar
- Support WebP images (standalone and in comic books)
- Support for RAR5 compressed comic books
- Fixed multiple crashes
More Products to Consider
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- View AutoCAD DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings, save views to JPEG ima...
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Get started quickly and stay on track, whether you're creating ...
- Create, edit, view, and print CAD drawings.
- Review, mark up, and revise 2D and 3D designs.
- Create, print, edit, sign, and share PDFs with batch operation ...
- Produce PDF files from virtually any type of file.
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- View, markup, combine and publish various file types.
- Design your own cabinet in 3D view.
- Open, display, and print PDF documents.
- Design every detail and share your work with confidence with po...
- Visualize and measure intricate CAD drawings in both 2D and 3D.
- Convert PDF documents to JPEG, BMP, PNG, and TIFF files easily.
- View, print, rotate, extract, and crop PDF files, and convert P...
- View or convert MS Office and PDF files to TIFF.
- Read PDF files with this lightweight PDF viewer.
- Enable your Java applications to view PDF documents.
- Print, e-mail, and save your T-shirts designs all from your des...
- Cut a plane out and shape it into a 3D paper model.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 79 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"VERY GOOD SOFTWARE FOR VIEWING XPS FILES AS WELL AS PDF"
Version: Sumatra PDF 2.4
Installed for viewing Microsoft's crummy XPS files which are a joke, but I'm not laughing.
Not able to convert XPS files to PDF.
Overall good product.
"The Best PDF Reader Out There"
Version: Sumatra PDF 2.4
Sumatra is quite simply the best PDF reader available. It is exceedingly fast, very lightweight on resources, and allows customization of display page, storage, and print options. And oh yes, its free, too.
Astute readers will notice I've praised Sumatra as the best reader. If you need an application to fill-in PDF forms you'll have too look elsewhere (try Nitro).
So it can't write. Its still the best reader out there.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content