CNET Editors' review
Post-it Notes, those little yellow pads of sticky-backed paper, changed the world, or at least the way people who live in it leave reminders to themselves and others. When the layers of notes (now multicolor) start to resemble cedar shingles, it's time to clean your computer monitor. That brings up an important point: as big an improvement as sticky notes have been over the old paper napkin method, software versions like Sticky Notes may be better still. For one thing, Sticky Notes lets you organize, search, store, and back up your notes; set reminders, priorities, and alarms; and customize its look and behavior. Plus it'll never get lost in your desk drawer or behind your coffee mug. Sticky Notes is free to try, with a few features disabled, but at $4.99 the full version easily passes the Lunch Test, costing about what you'd pay for a sandwich and drink from the local carry-out.
Sticky Notes resides in the system tray; right-clicking its icon opens the program's main menu, where users create and manage Notes and the program's settings. However, you can also configure hot keys to make Sticky Notes even faster and easier to use by clicking Program Settings and selecting the Hotkeys tab (you can also set General Settings, configure Notes, and more). We clicked Create a New Note, and a new note popped up with the cursor ready. You don't have to click Save or do anything to slow you down; a few quick keystrokes and then click the red Exit button, and Sticky Notes automatically saves your note. When we'd saved a few Notes, we clicked the menu to view Recent Notes, Arrange Notes (cascade or tile) and Search them. Need help? Click Help: Help appears.
There's always room for improvement: for instance, automatic or scheduled backups would be nice to have, though we appreciate the simple but effective Backup and Restore feature that's already a part of Sticky Notes. And you'll still need paper sticky notes when you need to mark your lunch or leave a note on a colleague's door. Pretty much everything else? Sticky Notes has got that covered.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Sticky Notes 2.3.Sticky Notes - Create sticky notes directly on your desktop - Download Video Previews:
From Igor Vigdorchik:
The Sticky Notes application allows you to create electronic sticky notes directly on your Windows desktop. The Sticky Notes are just like paper post-it notes for your computer. Jot down tasks, messages, ideas, appointments, phone numbers, birthdays in a note and stick it on the desktop. A note can be positioned anywhere you wish, or hidden in your task bar, then searched and displayed later. Notes can be re-sized. The note's contents can be formatted to include fonts, colors, transparency and hyperlinks. Also notes have a click thru capability. Once on screen, notes will remain where placed until closed, even through reboots. Alarms can be added to a note to act as a reminder. Sticky Notes application is small and simple and all notes are kept in one text file.
Sticky Notes doesn't require any installation process or additional components and it does not use the registry. Download the zip file and create a new folder in C:\Program Files and name it 'StickyNotes'. Extract the contents of the downloaded file to C:\Program Files\StickyNotes. Click on the StickyNotes.exe. Sticky Notes icon will appear in the Windows System Tray (bottom corner to the right of the Windows taskbar). To start up Sticky Notes every time Windows boots up, add Sticky Notes to your Start-up group. To do this click the button "Create a shortcut in the start-up group" in the Options dialog
To open a new sticky note, double click on the Sticky Notes icon in the system tray/notification area. To access the application menu, right click on the Sticky Notes tray icon. To access the note menu, click on the down arrow in the upper left hand corner. By default, Sticky Notes will stay on top of other windows as indicated by the pin. To toggle that setting, click on the pin once. To close a sticky note, click on the small red power button in the upper right hand corner. Sticky Note saves all of your sticky notes in a .dat file, so don't worry if you closed a sticky note accidentally, you can always retrieve using the Search window.
What's new in this version: Version 2.3 adds the following new features:
- New title bar.
- Note's viewer in the search window.
- earch results auto refresh
- Launch a user specified application when an alarm goes off.
- When a note is rolled up it displays its contents in a tooltip when the mouse hovers over a title bar.
- Indent or unindent a paragraph.
- Hide open notes for a specified time period.
- Title's 'No Color' option (same as note's color).
- Enable... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Create sticker-like notes on desktop, attach them to documents ...
- Automatically change wallpaper.
- Create, customize, organize, and display notes on your desktop.
- Change your wallpapers automatically.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Create sticky notes on Windows, set alarm, stick them to Web si...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Create handy sticky notes with various useful features and plac...
- Install multiple useful gadgets for Windows 7 in one click.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Save your text and image which is copied in the clipboard.
- Create multiple notes with ease.
- View day and night images of the Earth on your desktop.
- Wake up/remember important event to your favorite songs.
- View local time and date of any place in the world.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows user interface.
- Change wallpaper of your desktop on Windows startup.
- Open source startup manager.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 142 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"I used to like this program"
Version: Sticky Notes 2.3
used to like this program
didn't install. just installed real player on download.
It installed real player, never got my sticky notes back. just got toolbars and real player. Where's Sticky Notes. Very disappointed.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: