CNET Editors' reviewThis simple recording program lacks some key features, but its generous trial restriction helps keep it in the running. StepVoice Recorder's rather mundane, nonresizable interface isn't likely to blow anyone's mind, but it's quite easy to use and displays two prominent level meters to ensure your recordings don't end up distorted. Though many recording applications offer presets for sources such as a CD player, a microphone, or a line-in jack, this program makes you adjust signal strength via Windows' built-in audio controls. However, we're glad it provides buttons for quickly accessing these settings. StepVoice Recorder can only capture files in the MP3 format, but at least it lets you configure the audio quality. In our tests, the program did a fine job of recording a Net radio stream, but it's a shame the app doesn't include a scheduler or a silence-detection tool for automatically dicing up tracks. We also missed a voice-activation feature. Still, unlike many of its competitors, this utility lets you record as many tracks as you want for a full 30 days. Folks seeking a basic, functional recording app should definitely consider this option.
StepVoice Recorder is real-time recording software with support for the MP3 file format. It allows recording from any sound source, such as microphone, line-in, or any sounds currently playing on your PC (such as Internet radio or movie sounds). Real-time MP3 encoding saves hard-disk space and time, because you don't need to encode recorded sounds later; this feature is critical for longer recordings. A wide range of MP3 bit-rate settings allows you to vary the sound quality from telephone (3.5MB to 7.0MB per hour) to CD (1.0MB to 2.0MB per minute). With recording visualization, you can easily adjust the volume level to get the best results.
What's new in this version: Version 1.8 included where mixing virtual 'speakers' line with microphone (for Majicjack and Skype) and improved recording quality.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Record sound from various sources directly to MP3 format.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Listen to your favorite music in better sound quality.
- Record what you hear from your PC.
- Rip and convert DVD to popular video/audio formats.
- Make searching for a song easier by cataloging your MP3 collect...
- Record sound from microphone in MP3 and WAV formats.
- Rip, export, and convert your audio CDs between various formats...
- Convert your Macromedia Flash files into a screensaver and crea...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Great little recorder"
Version: StepVoice Recorder 1.4
I use for recording interviews and it does a great job. Simple interface, good selection of sampling rates, and saves to universal mp3 format. Also, publisher is very responsive to feedback and suggestions.