CNET Editors' review
Out with the old and in with the new... but some old habits die hard. Unfortunately, this tagline isn't for an upcoming action flick, but rather the critical reception of Windows 8. There are still plenty of incentives for users to upgrade their OS (especially for all you XP folks... seriously?) and maybe IOBit's solution might just be what the doctor ordered to get many past the tipping point.
Start Menu 8 emulates the classic Windows 7 start menu, both in style and function. Pressing the windows key will open the menu and display a list of folder shortcuts on the right, a search bar on the bottom, and a list of program folders for easy access to all your applications. For the most part, Start Menu 8 looks, acts, and tastes like the old Start button, but also comes with a few tweaks and enhancements.
You can customize individual components of the menu. Want to set a shortcut to open in a new window or a popup? Done deal. Still want access to the default Start Screen without uninstallation? Simply press Alt+X, or set a custom hotkey instead. You can even change the Start button graphic to another image of your choice and deactivate the charms bar. This level of customization is important because at the end of the day, Start Menu 8 distinguishes itself from competitive apps by the way it enhances the Windows 8 experience, instead of just a simple nostalgic imitation.
However, there are also some elements in which Start Menu 8 falls short. Notably, the apps that are downloaded from the Windows store are noticeably absent so any apps that reside in the Modern UI Start screen will only be accessible from there. The native Start screen gives users access to both so this is a bit of a letdown. But then again, for the attractive price of 0.00, it's something we can live with.
Start Menu 8 is download worthy: it has enough encouraging features to cater towards both older and newer crowds and significant levels of customization to uniquely meet user needs. And though I encourage users to really engage with Microsoft's latest iteration, it's undeniable that having a convenient option to switch between the two at a whim has been rather pleasant. Give it a go and see for yourself.
Start Menu 8 is specially designed for Window 8. It offers a perfect solution for users who work with Windows Start Menu all the time and are not accustomed to the new Metro start screen in Windows 8. This smart tool brings back both the start button and Windows Start Menu, and offers the option to skip Metro start page, allowing users who only work on desktop to boot to Windows 8 desktop directly. It's the best start menu replacement for Windows8.
What's new in this version:
- Added Windows 8 Style for Start Menu
- Added Options for (not) Displaying Account Picture
- Added Options for (not) Displaying Frequently Used Programs
- Added Transparency Setting for the Default Theme under Windows 7 Style
- Optimized the Function for Disabling Bottom-left/Top-left Hot Corners
- Enhanced the Search Function
- Optimized the User Interface
- Better Support for Windows 8.1
- Fixed "Win... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Enjoy the traditional start menu style of Windows 7 with the po...
- Turn off the start screen of Windows Eight and return to the Wi...
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Add a Start menu to your Windows 8 PC.
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Optimize Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
- Return classic Start menu for Windows 7.
- Set up lightweight countdown timer and clock.
- Add Start button and start menu to Windows8.
- Analyze Windows and refit pagination file to the detected user ...
- Learn the basics of your Windows computer.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 56 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Introduced strange keyboard problems on my Asus X551C"
Version: Start Menu 8 220.127.116.117
Makes Windows 8 behave a bit more like a computer and less like a dumb phone
Introduced strange keyboard problems on my Asus X551C,
screwed up my Chrome installation,
tried to install lots of other bloatware
Didn't work very well anyway
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content