CNET Editors' review
Sprintometer is a free project management tool optimized for the Scrum methodology. Though sometimes spelled with all caps, SCRUM, it's not an acronym; it's a term taken from rugby football and refers here to the holistic, overlapping, all-at-once approach often used in agile software development. Participants call their intensive, two- to four-week projects "sprints." Sprintometer helps you time your sprints. It has an Office-style layout, exports to Excel, supports XML, reports on Agile parameters, and tracks development and testing separately. It also offers password protection and HTTPS server connections for security. And it's completely portable, requiring no installation to run.
You can run Sprintometer's extracted executable from just about anywhere, including a USB drive. Everything you need is right on the Sprintometer toolbar, clearly labeled and logically grouped under General, Export, Local File, Remote Server, Budget Info, Spreadsheet Filters, and View. We clicked New under Local File, calling up the Project Type wizard, which asked us to choose an Agile project type, XP (extreme programming), or Scrum. You can't change project types once a project has been created. We selected Scrum, and Sprintometer presented a cleanly configured, tabbed tool sheet. On the General tab, we entered a project name, Estimation Units, and Work Types, easily adding a custom task in the process. The Resources & Budgets tab contained the nub of a spreadsheet, while the Server Project Users tab let us add users to our server via a log-on dialog. This tab is where you'd authorize team members to access the project server, which is configured via the Remote Server section of the toolbar. Here we could set up and save our server settings, connections, and log-on data. From our project name in the navigation tree view, we were able to add Sprints, which track projects via a workbook with eight tabs of charts, graphs, and reports, including Scope Chart, Track Chart, 3D Burn Down, and Story Readiness Report.
We were impressed with all Sprintometer has to offer, especially for a free project management tool. The XP tool seems just as capable as the Scrum section. While optimized for software development, Sprintometer can be used for any project using Agile methodologies.
Sprintometer is a simple tool with modern GUI for SCRUM and Extreme Programming projects' tracking. Enhanced Burn-down with 95% statistical sector. Support for variable team size. Prediction of deviation from sprint/iteration plan. Export to Microsoft Excel for all charts and spreadsheets. Data in local file or in shared DB on server. Modern and user friendly interface in Microsoft Office 2007 style. Numerous reports with all important Agile parameters. XML format support. Assignment of resources to Tasks and User Stories. Separate tracking of development and testing tasks. Change requests tracking. Calculation of daily scope for developers and testers to be on track. Secured HTTPS connection to public server. Password protected tracking of project budget.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Track SCRUM and Extreme programming projects.
- Organize intuitively all your tasks.
- Automate your PC shutdown.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Create and add Flash animations to your Web sites.
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Manage agile teams using SCRUM intuitive way.
- Protect your PC from spyware, and preserve performance.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Place analog stopwatch and countdown timer and clock to your sy...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Strip personal information and GPS data from all your photos wi...
- Track bugs and defects and manage various issues.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Simulate hardware keyboard on your PC screen.
- Manage project step-by-step and deliver it on time and within b...
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Encrypt your messages with this free utility.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Sprintometer 5.06
mans yhsoy ofiyof yfydyosyydsioysf yoyodyo
yoiy yoiyiyhi yoy o yoyoiyoiyoy
"Works as promised"
Version: Sprintometer 1.12
- simple to install
- comes with sample templates
- comes with documentation
- exports to excel
- no initial issues found
As promised - Sprintometer is a simple tool with modern GUI for SCRUM and Extreme Programming projects' tracking. I like the ability to run it stand alone.