CNET Editors' note: The Installer will download a small file remain online to proceed with the actual download.
CNET Editors' review
Spotify has been around for a good year and hasn't changed much; it's still one of our favorite applications for music on demand and music library management. Taking cues from iTunes, Spotify integrates your existing music libraries with its own giant catalog of songs from artists all over the world. Where it trumps iTunes is that all the music is pretty much available to stream for free, with offline functionality for an addition 10 bucks a month. In the in-app advertisements, claims like "Piracy is overrated" are quite justified; Spotify is seriously one of the most easiest ways to grab just about any song you can think of, and stellar for discovering new music.
And while we've already covered the highlights of the layout and the general functions of the service, Spotify has since then been pushing users to take advantage of its own app catalog to further enhance the playlist creation experience.
Apps are available from bigger names and sites like Billboard charts and well-known musicians, as well as discovery brands like Hype Machine help users discover new music from just about any genre. And while users can already explore curated lists from their synced friends via Facebook, Spotify apps are in some sense the company's response to address the need for more curated lists.
It's not surprising that the actual number of apps in the catalog is rather small, but then again there's really only so much you can do with music playlists. From our experience, most of the apps are centered around music discovery and suggestion, or syncing with well-known discovery sites like Hype Machine. They are interesting for a bit but few apps really add any new legitimate features or functions to the music listening experience, except just visual reorientations of artist spotlights. My personal favorite was simply the TuneWiki lyrics plugin; it basically turned my Spotify app into a makeshift karaoke so I can secretly sing and rap to myself at work. Other apps that were also interesting included Fuse, an app that highlights music of artists who make headlines or appear on the news.
Your favorited apps will follow you whenever you log onto Spotify, no matter what machine you're on.
If you're looking for a free, legal way to get all your favorite songs on your computer, stop living under a rock and download this now.
Spotify is a new way to enjoy music. Simply download and install, before you know it you'll be singing along to the genre, artist or song of your choice. With Spotify you are never far away from the song you want.
There are no restrictions in terms of what you can listen to or when. Forget about the hassle of waiting for files to download and fill up your hard drive before you get round to organizing them. Spotify is instant, fun and simple.
What's new in this version: Version 0.9.7.16 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Purchase, download, and play video games.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Listen to your favorite music on Spotify from Google Chrome bro...
- Search and download your favorite music while syncing wirelessl...
- Listen to tuba.FM online on your PC.
- Train your ear in order to be able to appreciate and develop pe...
- Search lyrics automatically.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Download your favorite music from Grooveshark.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 117 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Spotify 0.9.7.16
Nice selection, Good quality audio. Easy to create a station.
The algorithm that decides whst will be mixed in on your station really is bad. It looks for any excuse at all to throw rap music at you.
I could not figure out a way to cancel or correct corrupted stations. It is a if the algorythm is trying to force you to listen to things you do not like.
Not for me.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content