CNET Editors' review
Spectacle for Mac is a Mac OS X utility for organizing and positioning windows on your screen without the use of a mouse. A free download from many download sites, but not the App Store, Spectacle for Mac installs easily. Spectacle for Mac is an open-source app.
For those who don't have a mouse handy, or have issues with their mouse, working with a crowded screen can be a nightmare. Utilities like Spectacle for Mac really help out. Using Spectacle for Mac you adjust windows locations and size as needed, all without a mouse. Spectacle for Mac manages windows with a set of shortcuts (there's a list of about a dozen commands you will get to know). While at first it may be a bit awkward using the Ctrl and Cmd keys in combination with the cursor keys, it quickly will become second nature.
There are a few similar apps on the market (at last check about a dozen, in fact), but Spectacle for Mac is the one we've left on our MacBooks. It is clean, easy, unobtrusive, and becomes second nature to use. So much so that we've started leaving our mouse at home for short and unencumbered jaunts, relying on Spectacle for Mac to handle all our window needs. If this sort of utility is something that could help you, you'll find that Spectacle for Mac quickly becomes a go-to utility.
From Eric Czarny:
Spectacle is a simple utility that allows you to easily organize your windows without using a mouse. Those familiar with similar apps will find Spectacle to be a simple and unobtrusive way to become more productive while using your Mac. Using Spectacle you can view multiple documents side-by-side, move windows to other displays, or even focus your full attention to a single task. If you happen to move a window without meaning to, it is also possible to undo or redo the last few actions.
More Products to Consider
- Keyboard-based app launcher and search tool.
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Customize the appearance and behavior of your Mac.
- Turn your Android or iOS device into an extra touch screen moni...
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Compact clipboard manager with special pasting options.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Hover over the Dock for window previews and enables window snap...
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Set a different desktop picture for each Space.
- Original & exclusive wallpapers designed by artists from around...
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.
- Clipboard manager.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Drive the super fast cars to see if you can beat the other ones...
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Menu bar extension like the classic Apple menu.
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- Stick images, view live webcams on your desktop.
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Play sound of your choice when a particular event occurs.
- Driving games right in your Mac OS X Dashboard.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content