"Great utility for displaying your pictures on your desktop!"
Version: SlideShow Desktop 2.8
Easy to display your photos & pictures quickly on your desktop. The program has a number of "styles" for automatically resizing the picture to fit the desktop and it works with almost any image format you can think of, so it doesn't only just work with jpg and bmp like many similar applications.
To add some balance to the review by PicMan, also found here, his review is unneccesarily negative based on his own criteria.
1. Firstly, the clue is in the title - SlideShow "DESKTOP" - yes, it is a program that displays the pictures on your desktop and not in a separate window. That's the whole point of the program really. Criticizing it for displaying images on the desktop is kind of unfair ...
2. It has a full screen mode, and you can hide your icons etc very easily, so the point about the pictures being overlaid by icons etc is also an unfair critique. It displays pictures on your DESKTOP. It does exactly what it says on the tin.
3. "There is no pan or zoom facility". That's right, its a program for diaplying photos on your DESKTOP, and it does a good job of it too. It does automatically resize your images during playback though - you can have them proportionally sized to fill the desktop, you can also choose to only resize images that are bigger than the desktop, so that they fit. Also, not to enlarge pictures smaller than the desktop - so they don't get distorted. It has more sizing features than any other similar software i have tried.
4. "There is no picture information available" ... apart from the ability to display and edit the filename in realtime that is, which is adequate.
5. "There is no audio capability". It plays .wav files for each slide change, and it comes with a load of sample audio .wav files plus you can add your own, so that review comment is also untrue.
(continued from pros section as maximum character length reached) ...
6. "There is no way to flip or rotate the picture". Yes there is, all pictures can be rotated 90,
180 or 360 degrees in either direction, either during playback of your slideshow or just by right clicking the image name in the list and choosing rotate. In fact, there are loads of useful features available by clicking on different elements with the right mouse button - plenty of helpful menus and options. Perhaps PicMan doesnt use his right mouse button?
7. "There is no printing ability". Yes there is! It's pretty easy to find too, if you use your right mouse button. You can use this software to print photo enlargements very easily with a couple of clicks on the mouse, and what's more, it automatically selects portrait of landscape depending upon the orientation of the photo - very nice.
..This software may not be everybodys cup of tea, and it is fairly simplistic. But to criticize it for being a DESKTOP slideshow (when it is called SlideShow Desktop) and for not having a load of features which in fact it has, is very unfair.
All in all, great little program. Finds all the images on your computer and cycles them on the desktop, with options for rotating, renaming, printing, emailing them to family and friends etc, and it has plenty of options for tweaking the look of your desktop.
A wallpaper changer, desktop manager and simple slideshow application. Recommended.
Reply to this review
Was this review helpful?