CNET Editors' review
Just in time for Windows 8, Skype has now just released a major version update that adds improved integration with Microsoft and Facebook accounts, better messaging, and some minor changes to the user interface.
For those of you who've been living under a rock, Skype is one of the the most popular video chat and voice calling clients amongst our users as well as the world. It offers free calls to other Skype users over the Internet as well as very affordable rates for calling landlines and phones.
Version 6 brings a much simpler registration process, particularly with more integration with Facebook and Microsoft accounts. Now you can sign in with either Facebook or Hotmail and automatically use that as a Skype log-in. The previous version briefly incorporated Facebook features; its synchronization is much more apparent in the latest release. User contacts seemed to sync with profile pictures from more sources and the overall interface also looked cleaner. It wasn't a drastic overhaul, but subtle things like removing mini-banner ads from the bottom of the contact list and thin outlines over the tabs did contribute to a more modern look.
Call quality is still variable, depending on your connection and setup, but our experiences have been very positive. This version seemed more focused on casting a wider net and reducing the barrier to entry to an already excellent service and easing registration woes as new platforms emerge. If you've yet to try out Skype and you're looking for a worthy VoIP client, look no further and click on the green download button.Skype 4.0 for Windows:
Skype is software that enables you to make free calls anywhere in the world. Skype uses P2P (peer-to-peer) technology to connect you with other users. It offers several features, including SkypeOut calling from Skype to regular and mobile phones worldwide, conference calling, and secure file transferring. You can also now share your screen with other users. Skype calls focus on video and audio quality, and secure the calls with end-to-end encryption.
What's new in this version: Version 184.108.40.206 improves the quality and stability of the application.
More Products to Consider
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Connect and share instantly on the worlds most popular IM netwo...
- Record and play calls from various instant messengers and Skype...
- Record Skype calls in audio or video format automatically.
- Join live-video chat rooms from around the world.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add thousands of cool effects to webcam video for live video ch...
- Run multiple Skype accounts on the same computer.
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add a virtual webcam with amazing video effects to your video c...
- Make landline and mobile calls and receive Skype calls from cus...
- Stay connected with friends and family with face-to-face video ...
- Apply skype to your DotNetNuke portal.
- Add a virtual Webcam for video chats software such as Skype, MS...
- Communicate within the company through LAN.
- Launch multiple Skype sessions and sign on accounts.
- Answer and record calls and share your music in a conversation.
- Get notified to the email alerts and create custom notification...
- Add a Web browser plug-in for accessing rich interactive applic...
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Update Eudora's mailbox table of content or mailbox files.
- Detect intruders with Webcams in your room and be alerted by e-...
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 1,879 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Skype 220.127.116.11 Just Continues the Downward Trend"
Version: Skype 18.104.22.168
good audio quality
Screen share? What screen share?
I frequently used Skype to connect with people on both sides of the US and even the other side of the pond; I have found that while audio quality is good, video and screen sharing quality have taken a definite nosedive. It used to be that screen sharing and video were smooth and natural looking, with little to no lagging, and white bars showing on both ends. Now, white bars may show when using voice, but the moment one of us initiates a screen share, the bars turn red, fluctuate to yellow, then red again, Skype freezes up and we have to kill screen share. Yes, we've made sure we had webcams and video turned off when screen sharing. Yes, all plugs are plugged in tight, and no, we don't have other applications running in the background. OS for all the people I've used Skype with have been Windows XP, 7 or 8 (64bit). This is a recent occurrence. If only we could remember which version didn't do this! 22.214.171.124 is abysmally bad when it comes to video or screen sharing. 126.96.36.199 is little better. So much for "improving our Skype experience!" It has been SOOOOO frustrating.