CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Skype is one of the most widely used messaging and calling applications available on practically every current platform. Skype for iPhone is, as the name implies, the iOS port that works on iPhone and iPad. Available for free from iTunes or several download sites, including the publisher's, Skype installs and configures easily.
Skype lets you message or chat with anyone on your contacts list. You can also set up either audio or video conferences easily with Skype, as well as conference calls, by hitting a single button after choosing the contact. Calls over standard data networks, from one Skype device to another, are free, and there's premium services for calling landlines for a monthly fee. Skype's call quality is very dependent on both ends' connection speed and reliability, and while the quality is often excellent, there are times it deteriorates with the data rates. In our testing, most Skype calls were as good as standard voice calls, and setting up a conference call is simple and fast. You can send attachments (photos, audio, etc.) using Skype.
We've used Skype for several years on many different platforms. Skype for iPhone has a nicer interface than some of the desktop versions, and it is easy to learn to use. Despite having multiple messaging and calling apps on our iPhones, we end up using Skype the most simply because of the massive install base and the ready availability of clients.
With Skype for iPhone, call, make video calls, and instant message with anyone else on Skype. Moreover you can call and text your Contacts (or any other number) at Skype's low rates with Skype Credit. Enjoy video calls with Skype contacts on, iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, compatible mobiles, PCs, Macs or Skype-enabled TVs, message friends, wherever, and whenever the mood strikes, and wideband audio (SILK codec) on iPhone.
Call friends on Skype
Call mobiles and landlines
No WiFi? No problem
Chat with anyone, anywhere
What's new in this version:
- Video messaging is now free and unlimited
- Audio and video call stability improvements.
- Share photos more reliably.
More Products to Consider
- Talk to your friends and stay connected with them through calls...
- Stay on top of your Gmail easier with this fast and mobile inbo...
- Get the official Gmail experience for your iPhone, iPad, or iPo...
- Enhance your student life.
- Make calls and SMS for free.
- Provide users with a better place to interact with others world...
- Make VoIP calls directly through the iPhone.
- Send emails with multiple attachments using full capacity permi...
- Watch your Ivideon Server cameras remotely over the Internet us...
- Enhance your Web conference experience.
- Call, text, fax, and receive voicemail from your iPhone for low...
- Send pictures to your friends from your iPhone.
- Lets to type emails in Hebrew.
- Make phone calls, send messages, use your iPhone like walkie-ta...
- Check your YouMail voicemail directly from your iPhone.
- Application iPhone pour les ftes Renaissance du Roi de l'Oiseau...
- AirPresenterAirPresenter iPhoneAES(128bits)P2P.
- Stay in sync with friends when meeting up, see where they are i...
- Descrgate Urban Golf y comienza a mejorar tu swing.Con Urban Go...
- Talk old school CB Radio style with this walkie talkie app for ...
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Get the ebook reader application for your iPhone.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Record your iPhone or iPad screen in real time.
All versions:2.5 stars
out of 10 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Doesn't work without wifi"
Version: Skype for iPhone 4.9
-When on wifi the video and call quality is very good
-When not on wifi video is impossible and voice will break up and drop within 10-20 seconds.
This is over a good quality 4G network to a computer based skype (where broadband cable is used) there's no connection speed based problem. It simply does not work over anything but wifi. This has been tried and true on different iphones, 3G, 4G, and an Android phone that was 3G.Should've changed to 2 stars. Apologies. It does work well over wifi.
Updated on Oct 10, 2013