CNET Editors' review
Tutors and students for logic and computer programming will find this application for minimizing, simplifying and reducing Boolean equations and digital logic circuits a handy box of tools for increasing understanding.
Simple Solver launches a rather plain but functional interface. The large, mostly empty window includes a selection of buttons and check boxes accompanying two medium-size panes or sections, depending on the process being performed. The two panes or sections serve as an editor for inputting equations or criteria and for displaying output from the processes performed on the specified equations. The lack of clutter on the interface provides clarity that helps focus the user's attention on the app's operations--flashy colors and intricate designs don't affect the black-and-white facts of mathematics.
This free toolbox performed very well during our tests. It responded quickly to all our clicks and commands. We liked the array of example equations built into Simple Solver, which provide tutors a nice basis for exploring Boolean equations, the permutation function, random numbers, the simulation function, and the synthesis function. Selecting a process to run was a very straightforward matter of choosing a check box: minimize, invert and minimize, truth table, sort names, and show only last for Boolean processes, and similar simple choices for the other processes. We also liked that we could print either the input or output, allowing teachers to build a study guide or test very easily. We wished we could save items in more formats other than just text, but at least text-formatted files can be converted to other formats.
From David Baldwin:
Simple Solver is a free Windows application that can simplify computer logic systems, Boolean equations, and truth tables. The application includes six different tools: Logic Design Draw, Logic Simulation, Logic Design Auto, Boolean, Permutation and Random Number. These tools are built on years of engineering design experience and are intended for both educational and industrial usage. The software is available as freeware for download. Logic Design Draw - A hierarchical WYSIWYG tool that enables a user to interactively create a logic schematic diagram and to run circuit simulation. Logic circuits can be very simple, such as and-or logic, or can consist of hundreds of parts. Both basic parts (logic gates, flip-flops) and MSI (Medium Scale Integration) building blocks are provided. Using blocks, large hierarchical designs - such as small computers - can be built. Computer Logic Simulation - Evaluates both logic circuit functionality and timing problems such as flip-flop setup and hold times, race conditions and glitches/spikes. All circuit types and configurations are supported: Combinational, Sequential, Synchronous and Asynchronous. Logic Design Auto - Automatically design small digital logic circuits and state machines from timing diagrams or truth tables. Boolean - Generates minimized Boolean equations from Boolean equation or Truth table inputs. Boolean operator formats are supported for a variety of languages including: ABEL, C, C++, PALASM, VB, Verilog and VHDL. The software uses both Quine-McCluskey and Espresso (UC Berkeley) algorithms to optimize minimization. Permutation - Generates permutations of numbers from a specified base number and a specified number of digits. Can be used for a variety of applications such as generating binary, octal or decimal number tables. Random Number - Generates from 1-99,999 random numbers in a specified range between -99,999 to 99,999.
What's new in this version: Version 5.0 adds an example of an 8-bit programmable computer to demonstrate how a hierarchy of macro blocks can easily manage large designs.
More Products to Consider
- Create and simulate logic circuits.
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Create printable calendars with photos or pictures.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Learn how to communication systems operate.
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Minimize Boolean and propositional functions up to 24 variables...
- Get a native DWG, high-performance CAD solution.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Modify your digital photos.
- Analyze circuits, draw graphs, and verify circuit related equat...
- Edit Web pages using your Web browser.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Design, build, and manage your own shopping mall.
- Help high school students improve their skills in Mathematics, ...
- Design and simulate digital logic circuits on your machine.
- Allow you to perform a live saving operation on your Windows PC...
- Design, build, and run your own shopping malls.
- Read and Listen the Quran in many languages, with famous recite...
- Ride real roller coasters, or design them yourself.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"My Vista 64 wouldn't take it. worked a bit fun crashed"
Version: Simple Solver Logic 3.3.1
The little it worked was fun.
I got a warning after download scan saying seldom downloaded could be dangerous. I tried it anyway and then after a day of fun it crashed my machine. Hope they get the bugs out?
I really hope as time goes on they get the bugs out and it downloads clean I really was enjoying the thing the little it worked>
"It works well for generating truth tables"
Version: Simple Solver Logic 3.0
It works well
I haven't found any
I've used this program only to generate truth tables for logical equations. And it works very well for this purpose.