CNET Editors' review
Tutors and students for logic and computer programming will find this application for minimizing, simplifying and reducing Boolean equations and digital logic circuits a handy box of tools for increasing understanding.
Simple Solver launches a rather plain but functional interface. The large, mostly empty window includes a selection of buttons and check boxes accompanying two medium-size panes or sections, depending on the process being performed. The two panes or sections serve as an editor for inputting equations or criteria and for displaying output from the processes performed on the specified equations. The lack of clutter on the interface provides clarity that helps focus the user's attention on the app's operations--flashy colors and intricate designs don't affect the black-and-white facts of mathematics.
This free toolbox performed very well during our tests. It responded quickly to all our clicks and commands. We liked the array of example equations built into Simple Solver, which provide tutors a nice basis for exploring Boolean equations, the permutation function, random numbers, the simulation function, and the synthesis function. Selecting a process to run was a very straightforward matter of choosing a check box: minimize, invert and minimize, truth table, sort names, and show only last for Boolean processes, and similar simple choices for the other processes. We also liked that we could print either the input or output, allowing teachers to build a study guide or test very easily. We wished we could save items in more formats other than just text, but at least text-formatted files can be converted to other formats.
From David Baldwin:
Simple Solver is a free Windows application that can simplify computer logic systems, Boolean equations, and truth tables. The application includes six different tools:Logic Design Draw, Logic Simulation, Logic Design Auto, Boolean, Permutation and Random Number. These tools are built on years of engineering design experience and are intended for both educational and industrial usage. The software is available as freeware for download.
Logic Design Draw - A hierarchical WYSIWYG tool that enables a user to interactively create a logic schematic diagram and to run circuit simulation. Logic circuits can be very simple, such as and-or logic, or can consist of hundreds of parts. Both basic parts (logic gates, flip-flops) and MSI (Medium Scale Integration) building blocks are provided. Using blocks, large hierarchical designs - such as small computers - can be built. Computer Logic Simulation - Evaluates both logic circuit functionality and timing problems such as flip-flop setup and hold times, race conditions and glitches/spikes. All circuit types and configurations are supported: Combinational, Sequential, Synchronous and Asynchronous. Logic Design Auto - Automatically design small digital logic circuits and state machines from timing diagrams or truth tables. Boolean - Generates minimized Boolean equations from Boolean equation or Truth table inputs. Boolean operator formats are supported for a variety of languages including: ABEL, C, C++, PALASM, VB, Verilog and VHDL. The software uses both Quine-McCluskey and Espresso (UC Berkeley) algorithms to optimize minimization. Permutation - Generates permutations of numbers from a specified base number and a specified number of digits. Can be used for a variety of applications such as generating binary, octal or decimal number tables. Random Number - Generates from 1-99,999 random numbers in a specified range between -99,999 to 99,999.
What's new in this version: Version 5.2 is a major update to the Permutation Generator.
More Products to Consider
- Create and simulate logic circuits.
- Analyze circuits, draw graphs, and verify circuit related equat...
- Design and simulate digital logic circuits on your machine.
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Minimize Boolean and propositional functions up to 24 variables...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Get a free periodic table with extensive information on chemica...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Write and edit mathematical equations as easily as with pencil ...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Manage hard-to-remember lists related to various subject you st...
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"My Vista 64 wouldn't take it. worked a bit fun crashed"
Version: Simple Solver Logic 3.3.1
The little it worked was fun.
I got a warning after download scan saying seldom downloaded could be dangerous. I tried it anyway and then after a day of fun it crashed my machine. Hope they get the bugs out?
I really hope as time goes on they get the bugs out and it downloads clean I really was enjoying the thing the little it worked>
"It works well for generating truth tables"
Version: Simple Solver Logic 3.0
It works well
I haven't found any
I've used this program only to generate truth tables for logical equations. And it works very well for this purpose.