CNET Editors' review
It can be a challenge to maintain a pristine music collection once you've migrated to a digital library. With all the moving, copying, downloading, ripping, and transferring files that sometimes goes on, many of us are bound to end up with some duplicate tracks scattered around our hard drives. If you want to get things all nice and tidy again--not to mention clear up some space on your computer--Similarity is here to help. This fairly basic utility scans your system for music files and helps you locate and delete dupes.
Similarity is a quick and light app, with limited options during install. Once you fire it up, you'll be greeted with a minimal interface modeled after Windows Explorer. The left pane lays out an expandable folder list with tick boxes next to each path. Checking off the drives you want to be scanned gets the process started. A simple toolbar lining the top of the window presents the next steps. Clicking the play icon will begin the scan of your music files.
As with most programs that involve a comprehensive scan of media, Similarity requires a fair amount of time during the initial scan. How much all depends on the amount of music you need analyzed. The good news is that the software doesn't task resources too heavily, so you can continue to use your computer during the process.
As for this process, Similarity goes above and beyond simply comparing the track titles and other ID3 tag info for each song. Rather, it actually analyzes files based on various parameters such as bit rate, frequency, amplitude cut value, amplitude average value, and amplitude maximum among others. The program also supports a wide variety of file formats including MP3, AAC, M4A, WMA, OGG, WAV, FLAC, APE, WV, and MPC. In addition to its scan functionality, Similarity offers an integrated tag editor, a spectrum analyzer, and an automatic tag converter.
Once the scan is complete, you'll be able to view some detailed information on all the tracks that have similar selections in your library. The free version of Similarity displays measurements for two factors: the percentage of similar content as gathered from the waveform, and the percentage of ID3 tag similarity. You then have the option of deleting duplicates manually. The premium version, which costs $19.95 for a one-year membership or $34.95 a lifetime license, adds a precision comparison metric as well as the ability to automatically delete or move dupes--a worthy investment if you have a lot of musical clutter.
From Almaz Gaifullin:
Similarity is a useful program that helps you to find and remove similar, duplicate musical files (MP3, WMA, OGG, ASF, WAV, FLAC, APE, WV) with the same or similar sound content, music tags (ID3,WMF,Vorbis). This is the best program where similarity of a sound part is checked, not just music tags or file content (byte to byte comparision).
What's new in this version: Version 1.8.4 has added support of 24-bit FLAC files.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Find and get rid of the duplicate photos in a few simple steps.
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Manipulate multiple audio file formats with this open-source en...
- Track and delete duplicates of your music files.
- Find audio file duplicates and similar copies, automatically re...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Search, manage, compare, and delete duplicate files.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Encode, convert, and record to and from most types of sound fil...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Complete and fix MP3 ID3 tags, remove duplicates, and search fo...
- Find and remove duplicate files from hard disk using various fi...
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Search duplicate and similar picture files.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Play games while ripping CDs to MP3 or WAV files.
- Find and remove true duplicate files from your PC or network.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
All versions:2.6 stars
out of 16 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"bait & switch"
Version: Similarity 1.8.4
Great idea; Needed app; Good theory
very limited 'free' version
Basically a 'try b4 ya buy' product
AND the full version is way overpriced.
Not even worth the effort, Don't waist your time