CNET Editors' review
It's a small world, unless you're the one who sets the clocks. Years ago, keeping track of the time around the world meant a row of wall clocks with labels like "Leningrad" and "Peking." Things are easier in this century, and it's easy to keep track of the time in Beijing or Kalamazoo, Mich. But those who need to track multiple time zones simultaneously still face more of a challenge. That's where tools like Sharp World Clock step in.
Unlike many desktop clocks, it's shareware, though it's free to try for 15 days. But it's hard to find comparable freeware that can track multiple analog or digital clocks in customizable configurations, let alone as capably. Sharp World Clock Version 5 offers many new features, including automatic updates of Daylight Saving Time that don't rely on Windows Update, independently undockable clocks, Aero effects, an Alarm Center, and extras such as Sticky Notes, Weather Report, News Feeds, and Spoken Time.
When we tried it, Sharp World Clock's semitransparent main window displayed eight docked analog clocks set to major cities around the world. A Help feature controlled by a handy, tiny toolbar at the bottom edge of our screen opened when we ran the program for the first time. The Quick Start page makes setting up Sharp World Clock very easy: simply select a city or other location, and the program's Time Zone Calculator does the rest. You can also select a location on a Daylight Map or directly enter latitude and longitude. The Clock Designer tab offers tons of choices in a nicely designed layout with clean graphics -- something we can say about the rest of this program's layout and design choices, too. For example, sliders let us quickly resize our clocks as well as their international flag displays. A System Tray icon accesses a comprehensive menu of Sharp World Clock's settings and features.
Despite its many options and extras, Sharp World Clock is extremely easy to use: Simply right-click any clock face to undock it, customize its look, change its settings, and access extras like the Feed Reader and others. If you need to track time around the world, try this tool.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Sharp World Clock 5.83.
From Johannes Wallroth:
Sharp World Clock is a sophisticated desktop world clock program with a variable number of resizable analog or digital clocks, in a horizontal or vertical line or in a grid arrangement. Always accurate time zone / daylight time information with Windows updates +++ Clocks can be undocked from the main window and resized without any loss of quality. Many editable configuration presets and selectable colors, background images, transparency and more. Soft shadows (Windows 8 / 7 / Vista). +++ Analog clocks feature editable clock hands and numbers, country flags and a graphical representation of the day/night sky and an out-of-office dimmer. Hourly / quarterly chimes and spoken time. World map shows the areas of day and night, the position of cities, country borders, sunrise / sunset times and moon phases. Time Zone Converter with meeting scheduler and RSS feed reader. +++ Alarm Center with unlimited single / count-down / daily / weekly / monthly / annual / periodic alarms Settings export / import. +++ Weather Report feature for the current day and the next four days, for every city or (if city is not included) for every location, with minimum / maximum temperature, conditions, wind speed and direction, with animated icons (day and night). +++ Weather conditions for the current day and other detail info on mouse-over for each clock.
What's new in this version: Version 6.24 fixes two bugs: 1. Background / clock face designer was partly broken since one of the last updates. 2. "Info about..." dialog cold not be opened anymore from the menu icon context menu since version 6.22.
More Products to Consider
- An easy to use timezone, timesync, calendar, wallpaper and alar...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Display a day/night view of a world map, calendar, and clock.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Watch sunrise and sunset everywhere across the globe on your Wi...
- Monitor the time in different time zones in your Windows system...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Add a beautiful looking and fully customizable world alarm cloc...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Bring more attraction and productivity to your desktop.
- Place digital clock with customization options and multiple ala...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Place a customizable digital alarm clock on your desktop.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Get a speaking clock with skins and alarms.
- Find out the time in more than 500 cities worldwide.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Resizable desktop timer: Count Down, Stopwatch or Alarm Clock m...
- Display various clocks on your desktop.
All versions:4.7 stars
out of 100 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"I absolutely love this program!"
Version: Sharp World Clock 6.24
I work for a company where I have to deal with engineers in multiple locations all over the globe. I can never keep straight what time it is anywhere. Word Clock allows me to have all of the relevant regions that I deal with on a screen in a concise display. This allows me to know if a contact is available, when they most likely will be available, and how best to schedule meetings. I've been using it for years and it is the ONLY clock software I need.
The only thing that I can think of is that it would be nice to be able to reposition the GMT offset on the clock faces. Some of the larger offsets (multiple digits) are partially hidden behind the face of the clock.
If you don't have, download it and try it out. Once you do, you will be hooked!
Version: Sharp World Clock 6.24
My friends ask why I would pay for a clock program when there are so many that are free. Hah! The many have very limited functionality. This one is loaded with extremely useful options.
I congratulate you for your effort and your insights. This is by far the most useful of the many clock programs I've tried. The customizing options are superb. You've truly done a world-class job with it.
"A superb program - exactly what I was looking for!"
Version: Sharp World Clock 6.24
multi-functionality, very few limitations, fully customisable, bells and whistles (literally!), has features I did not see in any other similar program. LOVE IT!
none that I have noticed
A brilliant and inexpensive program that you will love if you connect with people all over the world like I do!