CNET Editors' review
Database management applications have come a long way since Symantec introduced Q&A. Lantica's Sesame Database Manager is perhaps the best-known Q&A follow-on, and latest versions still provide an exclusive Q&A translator. Sesame is a cross-platform-capable, client-server database application development and management suite with built-in word processing and publishing capabilities that businesses, organizations, and even individuals can use to manage large amounts of data and create useful applications. These applications include invoices and receipts, reports, e-commerce, inventories, and virtually any kind of form or record.
Sesame's latest versions boast an upgraded form-based interface that builds on the software's well-established functionality and ease of use. A new feature, customizable Menu Button Navigation, gives you quick access to your programs and data. A left-hand tree view makes it easy to access each database and create custom applications from it. Sesame saves developers a lot of time because they can use programming code instead of recording macros or using other out-of-date methods. Version 2 upgraded so many of Sesame's features and added so many new ones that it's not possible to adequately summarize them, but there's an excellent Help file and online assistance, including documentation, and even printed material with the retail box version.
Sesame Database Manager is free to try for 30 days and costs $79. It works in most versions of Windows, from 95 to Vista, as well as in Linux. It installs desktop icons without asking and has a rather elaborate uninstall process. It's the best at what it does, and it does a lot.
From Lantica Software:
Sesame Database Manager gives you the tools you need to easily create database applications and organize and present the information in them. Features such as centralized application design facilities, a consistent form-based interface, intuitive query-by-example searching, and HTML reports will have you creating attractive and smoothly functioning applications. If you are new to databases, Sesame Database Manager makes getting started with simple applications easy, fast, and fun. For those with more experience, Sesame Database Manager provides a variety of options within easy reach for customizing and programming your applications. Sesame Database Manager also provides Symantec Q&A users with an exclusive translator for Q&A databases. Sesame Database Manager is available in single or multi-user versions.
What's new in this version: Includes significant improvements to application and client/server performance. The Symantec Q&A Translator is now enabled in the free Trial version. Ability to use with the new Sesame API.
More Products to Consider
- Store, manage, share, and generate reports of your school's dai...
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Organize information about your wine collection.
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Store, search, view, and print contacts information.
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Manage, organize, and recovery information from different sourc...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Capture, store, and organize documents and business information...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Organize information and create browser sites on your computer.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Organize and manage your tasks, schedules, files, and all other...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Search and display contact information and connect businesses i...
- Secure and organize your delicate information.
- View information about one or more relational databases in an i...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Organize, manage, and protect your thoughts and other personal ...
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 25 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"great product, GREAT customer service"
Version: Sesame Database Manager 2.5.2
Im new using this product, know about sesame in a BDJ promo.
Support its EXCELLENT and im proud to be a customer of lantica (sesame database).
The software is stable, well documented and does the job. The more you "play" with it, the more you will love it.
still learning the product but no issues found.
"Burnt by Sesame Developer"
Version: Sesame Database Manager 2.5.2
NO Pros. Developer Lantica took my payment and failed to deliver the fully functional software.
Developer Lantica takes your money and does not provide any software in return
I ordered Sesame Database Manager. My credit card was charged. But I received no software from the vendor. No receipt. No invoice. No customer number (as required by Lantica's unusual method of delivering their software). No email confirming the order. No serial or license number. Nothing!***** REVIEW REVISION -- 5 STAR UPGRADE DESERVED
After completion of my order, I was given an Order Confirmation with the Order Number. But that Order Confirmation provides no means to acquire the software.
I have bought many software through Bits. No order ever turned out badly except for this one. I feel burnt by this vendor!
Updated on Oct 10, 2011
The extraordinary issues associated with my Sesame order were real. But Lantica, the Sesame developer, did not deserve the blame placed on their doorstep.
Apparently, my Sesame order was unintentionally sabotaged by server errors attributable to the company that processed orders for Lantica. Thus, I was misled to believe that Lantica was at fault. And thus I inadvertently criticized the wrong entity.
Today, Lantica went to extraordinary pains to discover what went wrong and to set everything right. If Lantica's Sesame software is even half as exceptional as Lantica's customer service, then Sesame should be outstanding software.
The company that botched my Sesame order is no longer processing orders for Lantica. So, future buyers should not worry about hassles with their own orders.
In light of new facts, I apologize for my criticism of Lantica. Also, I thank Lantica for their honesty and exceptional customer support.