CNET Editors' review
If you're looking for a simple file encryption utility, this freeware may fill the bill for small files.
SerpentCryp has a small, single-pane window as its interface, which includes only two menus: File and Encryption. This simplicity emphasizes the apps lack of bells and whistles, but also its ease of use. This free app encrypts and decrypts, and allows you to set up a passkey--that's it. It uses a multiblock encryption algorithm with bit slicing called the Serpent algorithm.
In our tests, we found greater speed with smaller files. SerpentCryp encrypted a 30k file in 60 seconds. A 240k file required about 10 minutes. A 9,900k PDF file took nearly half an hour to encrypt. Although a large PDF is a far more complex file than a smaller Word document, users who must encrypt or decrypt a lot of large files may want to look at a more robust app. But for most users whose need to encrypt files arises infrequently, SerpentCryp provides the ease of use that anyone can appreciate and it's a cheap addition to their toolboxes.
From Carles Iglesias:
File encryption. This application uses the serpent multiblock encryption algorithm with 'bit-slicing' technique 128 bits block size. Supports 128-, 192- and 256-bit length key sizes. Serpent is a strong public algorithm, created with a century estimated time of life. This Serpent implementation is indicated for maximum security precise tasks with small archives, because the very slow process speed. This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
What's new in this version: This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Hide the tracks of your Internet activity and protect private f...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Encrypt multiple files and foldes of any type.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Encrypt your personal information to protect your privacy.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Encrypt e-mails, files, folders and USB flash drives.
- Encrypt your confidential data.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Encrypt confidential data on your computer.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Encrypt or decrypt your files to protect them.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Encrypt or decrypt files via command line.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your files and e-mails with passwords.
- Create your own file encryption program using C++.
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"The CNET review is only partially correct."
Version: SerpentCryp 7.1
Nothing at all.
While CNET is correct in pointing out the glacially slow, they make the fatal mistake of recommending this terrible software for 'infrequent' usage.
With such great software such as Blowfish Advanced CS 2.57, which also has the Serpent 256 bit encryption algorithm, users can use use Serpent to encrypt their sensitive files and secure them from the eyes of unwanted people. The great feature about Blowfish Advanced CS 2.57 is that it can encrypt a 9,900 PDF file in less than 24 seconds using the Serpent algorithm. I only use Blowfish Advanced CS 2.57 to encrypt my sensitive files. Nothing else has ever come close to working so perfectly.