CNET Editors' review
Though it suffers slightly from some odd operation steps, this program gives experienced users a powerful tool to restrict file and folder access. SecuInHand's tabbed interface logically separates functions and features, but the cramped window can't be resized.
Using a series of passwords and access controls, SecuInHand Professional helps users lock down their systems. Setting and updating all the major functions requires an odd set of clicks and passwords over the interface and the tray icon. Most users will need to follow the help manual closely at first, but the process can be memorized after a few tries.
Select Windows Registry hives and folders can be password protected with only a small amount of difficulty. Groups can be assigned different passwords, and protection easily enabled to require the password to open included folders. Users must allow opening the group through the tray icon. The process isn't difficult, but testers wished for a right-click password entry option on the protected folder. Additional protection allows users to set the app to securely encrypt files on the fly with user-selected algorithms.
To make it easy for applications to access data, SecuInHand also offers an option to designate applications as verified. Such apps can then access protected files and Registry entries without slowing down the process.
Oddly, the encryption settings default to 56-bit CALG-DES. Stronger encryption is available with a click. Administrators and power users will appreciate SecuInHand's powerful and useful features, even with the slightly convoluted method of implementing them.
SecuInHand contains three major modules. Access filtering module provides file and registry access filtering for protected files and registries such that only the types of access specified by users are allowed. On-the-fly encryption/decryption module provides on-the-fly encryption for protected files. Trusted program access-control module provides a safe channel for users to use trusted programs to access protected files and registries.
Version 8.1 adds Registry protection mechanism.
What's new in this version: Version 8.1 adds Registry protection mechanism.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your PC in real time from malware & spyware.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Store your passwords in an easy to use format.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Encrypt passwords, PINs, and card numbers.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Get advanced security and encryption for your PC.
- Reduce multiple passwords to one single item.
- Protect your files and computer from illegal access.
- Lock and encrypt files or folders with a mouse click.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Detect unauthorized access to your computer.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Manage and keep your passwords secure and easily access your cr...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Get a data protection tool for USB mass devices.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Create vector and searchale PDF files with password features an...
- Protect your PC with this multimedia-enabled secure screen lock...
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Encrypt and protect data.