CNET Editors' review
Scapple for Mac makes note-taking quick and effortless, and lets you make connections between your notes using a straightforward drag-and-drop action. This premium app comes with an impressive array of options for customizing the look and feel of the notes, along with a powerful export feature. This app can definitely increase your productivity at the office.
Following a quick installation, Scapple for Mac greets you with a minimal interface. Commonly used actions can be triggered through intuitive shortcuts: double-click to create a new note and drag one note on top of another to create a link between them. You can also drag files or Web sites into a canvas; image files are applied directly, while other files and Web sites are given a link. A nice touch is the ability to extend the canvas infinitely in all directions, so you never run out of space. Performance-wise, Scapple performs well while keeping its system footprint relatively low. The only major downside of this app is its lack of multiple device support -- you can only use it on a Mac.
While Scapple for Mac possesses an impressive array of features, its lack of device support makes it far less useful than it could have been. It remains a worthwhile app, though, but only for those who do all their note-taking on their Mac and don't need to synchronize their notes across devices. If you want a note-taking app that's compatible with your iPhone or iPad, this isn't it.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Scapple for Mac 1.1.
From Literature and Latte:
Scapple is an easy-to-use tool for getting ideas down as quickly as possible and making connections between them. It isn't exactly mind-mapping software--it's more like a freeform text editor that allows you to make notes anywhere on the page and to connect them using straight dotted lines or arrows. If you've ever scribbled down ideas all over a piece of paper and drawn lines between related thoughts, then you already know what Scapple does. Scapple doesn't force you to make connections, and it doesn't expect you to start out with one central idea off of which everything else is branched. There's no built-in hierarchy at all, in fact--in Scapple, every note is equal, so you can connect them however you like. The idea behind Scapple is simple: when you are roughing out ideas, you need complete freedom to experiment with how those ideas best fit together. Creating notes is as easy as double-clicking anywhere on the canvas and then typing; making connections between ideas is as painless as dragging and dropping one note onto another. And unlike with paper, you can move notes around and never run out of space.
What's new in this version:
- Enhanced for Mavericks, including support for tags and responsive scrolling.
- When creating a new note with Cmd-Return, the new note now maintains the indent level of the selected note.
- Showing or hiding the footer bar will now determine the setting for new documents.
- Added View > Page Guides, which provides guides showing where page boundaries will fall when printing.
- Minor changes to file format and file reading for compatibility with Windows version.... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Save & organize any text you may want handy.
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- List of all active shortcuts of the current application.
- OneNote-style note taking and clipping app.
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Scientific and Programmers desktop calculator with variables an...
- Simple alarm clock & timer.
- Organize and manage your finances and track your spending.
- Quickly create visually appealing mind maps.
- Spoken-word transcription software.
- Messaging & collaboration client.
- Instant screen sharing for collaboration, training, product dem...
- For their email, groupware, intranet system.
- Organize instant online meetings with HD video conferencing and...
- Phonebook, SMS, gallery, calendar, themes for Nokia phones.
- Reliably transfer huge files to your clients.
- Mikogo is a free desktop sharing tool for web conferencing with...
- Collaborative content management for distributed teams.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content