CNET Editors' review
This compact program edits images and animations in the most popular formats. Despite its small size and light footprint, Saint Paint Studio has all the essential image-editing features, including tools for cropping, resizing, correcting colors, applying various effects, and drawing with a brush or pen.
Similar to full-fledged graphic-design packages, the program supports layers and lets you create simple animations. Saint Paint uses all the standard hot keys found in other image editors. However, the interface is crammed with tools and is outdated compared to other, similar products. On the plus side, mouse-over labels make it easy to figure out what each tool is, but the overall aesthetic feels drab and could use a redesign.
The program no longer comes bundled with Talking TimeKeeper, a great improvement, although the nag screen still exists for trial users. Considering its small size and decent capabilities, Saint Paint makes a nice pick for those who don't need the advanced features in more expensive image editors, but it doesn't offer enough to make it unique or a must-have.
From Mark Judge:
Saint Paint Studio is a paint package designed to be the essential base tool for editing photos, Web graphics, icons, images, and animations. Developed initially for use in the games industry, it comes with the most vital tools needed by professional artists, designers, and programmers, but is suitable for users with any level of experience. It's also extremely well suited to making fun, doctored photos. Many file formats are supported, including GIF, JPEG, BMP, ICO, TGA, and AVI. When saving, each format's attributes are fully explained to avoid loss of image quality. Among its many features are animation editing; layers and alpha channels; batch-image conversion; photo sharpening, blurring, embossing, and despeckling; a red-eye filter; controls for brightness, contrast, and gamma; image resizing; color reduction; a full set of essential color-palette-manipulation features for true-color, 256-color, 16-color, and 2-color.
What's new in this version: Version 18.0 is now completely free
More Products to Consider
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Add various effects to your photos and images.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Create and edit pictures on your computer.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- View, edit, and convert various types of images.
- Process photos start to finish--from download to editing (inc. ...
- View, edit, resize, convert, and share your digital photos.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Create new images or edit existing photos with a set of brushes...
- Record and replay your drawing procedure.
- View, retouch, create, and edit images in all formats.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Edit, convert, and create animation of your images with one ver...
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Create, secure, resize, and view images in desired viewing mode...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 60 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1