CNET Editors' review
This compact program edits images and animations in the most popular formats. Despite its small size and light footprint, Saint Paint Studio has all the essential image-editing features, including tools for cropping, resizing, correcting colors, applying various effects, and drawing with a brush or pen.
Similar to full-fledged graphic-design packages, the program supports layers and lets you create simple animations. Saint Paint uses all the standard hot keys found in other image editors. However, the interface is crammed with tools and is outdated compared to other, similar products. On the plus side, mouse-over labels make it easy to figure out what each tool is, but the overall aesthetic feels drab and could use a redesign.
The program no longer comes bundled with Talking TimeKeeper, a great improvement, although the nag screen still exists for trial users. Considering its small size and decent capabilities, Saint Paint makes a nice pick for those who don't need the advanced features in more expensive image editors, but it doesn't offer enough to make it unique or a must-have.
From Mark Judge:
Saint Paint Studio is a paint package designed to be the essential base tool for editing photos, Web graphics, icons, images, and animations. Developed initially for use in the games industry, it comes with the most vital tools needed by professional artists, designers, and programmers, but is suitable for users with any level of experience. It's also extremely well suited to making fun, doctored photos. Many file formats are supported, including GIF, JPEG, BMP, ICO, TGA, and AVI. When saving, each format's attributes are fully explained to avoid loss of image quality. Among its many features are animation editing; layers and alpha channels; batch-image conversion; photo sharpening, blurring, embossing, and despeckling; a red-eye filter; controls for brightness, contrast, and gamma; image resizing; color reduction; a full set of essential color-palette-manipulation features for true-color, 256-color, 16-color, and 2-color.
What's new in this version: Version 18.0 is now completely free
More Products to Consider
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Ddownload, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- View, retouch, create, and edit images in all formats.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Add various effects to your photos and images.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Set alarms and timers, view world times, and hear real voices t...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Create and publish Web pages without knowing HTML.
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Convert PowerPoint to video in all format, such as PowerPoint t...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 60 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1