CNET Editors' review
A few big-box suites like Microsoft Office define the competition in productivity software, which generally means an e-mail client, a word processor, and a spreadsheet tool at a minimum. And the competition is actually fiercest at the freeware level, where developers compete to offer Office-like bundles for no cost and with enough unique features to stand out from the crowd. SSuite Personal Office is a free suite with the must-have word processor, spreadsheet, and e-mail client as well as a lightweight Web browser, a PDF creator, a sorting utility, an envelope printer, and even some games.
The first tool we sampled was WordFormat2, a word processor with an intuitive interface that saves documents in several rich-text and C++ formats as well as Pascal and text files. It was easy to set the margins and formatting, and the tool offers word count, spelling and grammar, and statistics, among other features. WordFormat2 can save files in Word's DOC format but wouldn't display documents created in Word; however, Word opened the documents we created in WordFormat2. Likewise SpreadForm One proved a capable spreadsheet tool that can save and open Excel 4 and 5 files as well as text files and its proprietary format, yet it didn't display content created in Excel 2010. PDF Memo Creator is an interesting tool that let us quickly create PDFs, while My WebBrowser, also known as NetSurfer One, is a lightweight Web interface seemingly built upon Internet Explorer. The e-mail suite, My EZ Mail, seemed up to the task. Among this suite's interesting extras are The Sorting Machine, a simple but effective tool for sorting lists by string, integer, or float value; and an Envelope Printer that makes it super-easy to create and print high-quality printing labels and envelopes. The simple but effective Address Book included import and export options with choice of fields.
The fully indexed Help files offered options specific for each tool in both English and Afrikaans (South Africa). However, we found SSuite highly intuitive to learn and use, particularly for a productivity suite. If you're looking for a free office suite that's a bit easier to use than OpenOffice (the big dog) try SSuite Personal Office.
From SSuite Office Software:
This is an office suite for everyone that needs free personal productivity software. It comprises of a word processor, an e-mail application (send and receive), Web browser, a spreadsheet application, and a PDF Memo creator with graphical capabilities.
The benefits of the SSuite Personal office suite are its small size, the independence of any third party software necessary to run on, and that it can operate on any Windows platform with a consistent graphical user interface. It also incorporates a PDF creator for true document format compatibility.
No Java or .NET required, Green Energy Software!
What's new in this version: Version 4.4.1 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Provide an office suite for resource limited computer systems.
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Keep yourself informed on your personal notes at all times.
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Organize addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of your...
- Keep you up to speed and informed at all times.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Manage your personal finances.
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Increase your productivity and document format compatibility.
- Share your calendar with your colleagues.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Manage and create colorful spreadsheets, tables, and charts.
- Create and personalize your search engine using a visual map of...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Address all your business needs, from personal productivity to ...
- Organize and manage your personal and business information.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 14 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Like a tapeworm; beware."
Version: SSuite Office - Personal Edition 4.4.1
Maybe for some folks.
Hooked on to other programs, started taking up space on monitor when not in use with odd banners, etc. Uninstalled. Many traces remained, especially SSuite clock. ( Picture Clock? Whazzizis doing in a Word Processor?) Have been trying numerous uninstallers and search/remove procedures without much luck getting unwanted start-up with its delay removed. Does this sound OK to you?
Watch Out! Went with Abi instead.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: