CNET Editors' review
RootsMagic provides a set of tools for designing a family tree. With simple directions and an excellent layout, family roots can be monitored from their earliest origins.
The program's interface had us hooked from the get-go. Its simple family tree display and easily entered info meant we never needed to consult the program's instructional Help file. While we were expected to do the research ourselves, the program provided a simple bracket system for mapping out our family's history. We were prompted to enter birth and death dates, photos, hometowns and other important information, which formed a web of details that created a clear picture of a family. One of its strongest suits was the tree's ability to make gaps in knowledge obvious. If a great great uncle was missing, the blank entry was surrounded by other family members with whom we could research and hopefully find the answer. The program appeared to offer a great feature in its simple Web-site-creating wizard. Unfortunately, we were unable to actually view the site due to trial limits, but if the site is as comprehensive as the wizard is, it will be good. While the program required a lot of research to get a full picture of one's family, it was ultimately worth it because of the helpful tools.
RootsMagic comes with the previously mentioned Web site limit and a 50-member trial limit.
RootsMagic Essentials is a free, easy to use genealogy program that contains many core features from the award-winning RootsMagic family tree software. The free version includes extensive reports, and supports unlimited people, families, events, notes, and media. Print books, charts, forms, and lists. Also provides multiple database support, Unicode, SourceWizard, powerful merge features, and full GEDCOM support. Also includes full integration with New FamilySearch for those with access to that site.
More Products to Consider
- Track, organize, print, and share your family history.
- Record, organize, research, and share family tree information.
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Capture every bit of information about the history of your fami...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Create and publish your family tree.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Discover your family history and build your family tree.
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Correct the spelling errors and make your computer experience e...
- Solve discrete problems on your PC.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Solve discrete problems on your PC.
- Get the genealogical management software for your PC.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Study Hadiths in three languages.
- Access Visual FoxPro databases easily from various applications...
- Allow you to perform a live saving operation on your Windows PC...
- Convert HTML Help files to PDF documents on your computer.
- Research and analyze your family tree.
- Track and eliminate trails from visited Web sites.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 17 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Hate to even have to rate is ONE star. Deserves less!"
Version: RootsMagic Essentials 126.96.36.199
Counldn't really find one single "PRO" that would make me want to buy the full version
Among many other...
I HATE false advertisers.
Program is placed on here CNET as a as a "FREE" program.
IT IS NOT FREE!! It is buggy piece of crap that as soon as you get anything built, the TRIAL expires.
The only free program I would even rate 4 stars is on called Gramps. Part of Free community of genealogy ... sort of like OPENOFFICE or Gimp. It is
This like ANY OTHER TRIAL is not worth installing. The only free program I would even rate 4 stars is on called Gramps. Part of Free community of genealogy ... sort of like OPENOFFICE or Gimp. It is EXTREMELY powerful, fast (python driven), but hard to learn, If you have the IQ, that is the genealogy program to have.