Riven X is the rebirth of the best episode in the MYST saga for Mac OS X. The same content, the same wonder, a brand-new engine. Although RivenÃ¢?Â¢ was released in 1997 for both Mac OS and Windows, it was never updated to be a native Mac OS X application. With Intel Macs becoming dominant meaning the loss of the Classic environment, something had to be done in order for future generations of Mac users to enjoy Riven. Thanks to the work of dedicated individuals, in particular Tito Dal Canton, the Riven data files were reversed engineered, thus paving the way for a new engine.
What's new in this version: Version 0.9.8 addresses the missing sound effects and music issue in 0.9.7 and fixes a large number of bugs and includes over a year of, admittedly sparse, development. In particular, it fixes the QuickTime version check issues people have reported on recent versions of Snow Leopard.
More Products to Consider
- Sims 2 game update.
- Play a one-act interactive drama.
- Use peashooters, wall-nuts, cherry bombs and more to mulchify z...
- Realtime strategy game.
- Play solitaire with 3D effects.
- Real-time strategy game.
- Save the human race from invading aliens in this fun arcade-typ...
- Fly various missions or fly against your friends over the Inter...
- Borderlands 2 saved game editor.
- Version 1.1 Update for Spider Man 2 Third-person action adventu...
- The Hardest Action Game You Will Play This Year (no, seriously)...
- Adventure game to explore worlds and build structures.
- Solitaire card games with handcrafted artwork.
- Create and play realistic jigsaw puzzles on your Mac with your ...
- Popular house life simulation game.
- BBC Model B emulator.
- Atari 2600 emulator.
- Build and operate your own zoo.
- Updates 9.1-9.2 to 9.2.1 for G3s or higher.
- The Locas really do put the fun back in funeral in Grave Mania:...
- Play the new sequel to Myst and Riven game.
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- 1.0.4 Update for Command and Conquer Generals and the Zero Hour...
- Mahjongg summer fun – 60 levels, mini games and hidden pictures...
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:4.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Very well done."
Version: Riven X 0.9.8
Worked flawlessly after finding a disk torrent, already hours into the fun.
Did not take my disks. Installation quit on disk 2. I was forced to get a torrent that worked without a problem.
Running Snow Leopard 1O.6.8. Disks didn't work, but after torrent it works flawlessly.
"Thank you Tito Dal Canton, et al."
Version: Riven X 0.9.8
Effortless installation. Works nearly without flaw on Mac OS 10.7 Lion. No sound glitches whatsoever.
The setup is problematic for those of us who do not have access to contrast adjustments, but I really did not need access to one with my iMac monitor. No menu available on full screen setting. On full screen the only keyboard shortcut that works, which I could find, is command Q to quit. Otherwise F3 or F4. I've only been using it for two days; I can't remember how I saved yesterday's game, but it's do able.
Rivin is a beautiful and often under-rated piece de resistance of the late 90's gaming era. Each frame is a work of art. More of a puzzle than an arcade game its images stuck with me for years. I was nevertheless reluctant to resurrect it on on any platform due to its labor intensive, nuanced installation protocols -- not to mention the glitches. Well, after years of absence I thought I'd give it a go once again only to find a sound error insurmountable. Thankfully, after hours spent surfing for an answer, I stumbled across this update on CNET. What a blessing it has been to rekindle this old work of art. I can only hope the original stills are intact, so that one day the the resolution may be upgraded as well. Well done Tito Dal Canton, et al. Well done.I don't know if the Debug did it, but I now have full keyboard shortcut access. Still no Mac menu, but you don't need it, and you might not want it interfering with the graphics. If I could increase my rating to five stars, I would. Tito is onto something here.
Updated on Apr 24, 2012
Updated on Apr 24, 2012I don't know if the Debug did it, but I now have full keyboard shortcut access. Still no Mac menu, but you don't need it, and you might not want it interfering with the graphics. If I could increase my rating to five stars, I would. Tito is onto something here.
"You can even use original Riven PC disks now on a mac!"
Version: Riven X 0.9.8
works very well on a macmini core2duo
accepts Riven PC disks
no cons to mention
I was very surprised but and happy that Riven X accepts PC disks.
For all PC folks who switched to Mac, know that you can use your PC disk for this hack and play the game on a mac now. Amazing!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content