CNET Editors' review
RealPlayer 16 maintains its redesign from version 15 but changes a couple things under the hood, most notably the original "Featured" video section.
Installation process remains the same: Real uses a stub installer with optional offers of various products that you can choose to add or ignore. The sleek, metallic-colored interface from last year remains intact; the core video player, media library manager, and built-in burning tools remain virtually unchanged. The most noticeable overhaul exists in RealPlayer's new Web Videos tab.
Last year's features like private mode and the ability to view Facebook videos from within the interface still exist, but now reside in a grander direction toward content discovery. RealPlayer has greatly improved the use flow for finding new videos on the Web by aggregating some of the most popular content, enabling users to view them all from within the Real Player interface. The left column organizes video channels, beginning with the most preferential focuses (like bookmarked and Facebook videos), followed by a list of general categories similar to those found on aggregated video portals.
You can download videos directly from within the interface, a common but always useful feature for video players. RealPlayer 16 also comes with updated device profiles for the latest gadgets, including iPad 4 and Samsung Tabs. This means that you can download and convert videos into the most compatible formats, which RealPlayer will remember for future videos as well. Your downloaded content automatically gets collected into a Downloads & Recordings folder for easy viewing and recollection.
The video burning feature remains, but felt a bit lacking; RealPlayer lets users burn audio and video discs like VCDs and DVDs, but direct burning to Blu-ray support is still missing, despite the technology having been out for over half a decade. If Real wants to stand as a major presence as a premium media station, then limiting users to just burn AVCHD on smaller mediums instead of full Blu-ray format just won't cut it. Note that AVCHD content can still be played on Blu-ray players.
There's still plenty to love in RealPlayer, especially with the improved support for Web content; it's come a long way since the simple browser additions and RealPlayer has been slowly fine-tuning its design for a better user experience with minimal bloat as a free product. As a free product update, we highly recommend it.
Enjoy your videos on ALL your devices; available on Chromecast, Roku, iOS, Android, Windows Store, Kindle Fire & PC! Share videos privately and securely with your family and friends; your recipients don't even need the app to watch your videos securely! No more worrying about formatting or converting videos, or carrying HDMI and USB cables. It just works!
MOVE YOUR VIDEOS ACROSS ANY DEVICE
Move your videos across any of your devices - from your smartphone to your computer to your tablet. Whether you're on the go on the road or on an airplane, download videos from RealPlayer Cloud to your device and watch them even when you're offline. All your devices on the same WiFi network can see each other. So you can easily download your videos to one device from the other.
WATCH YOUR VIDEOS ON TV!
Do you connect your computer to a TV to watch videos today?!! With RealPlayer Cloud's SurePlayTM technology, all your HD videos are now directly streamed to your TV giving you a high-quality and uninterrupted viewing experience. RealPlayer Cloud is available on Roku and integrated with Chromecast! Did we also mention no wires?!!
SHARE YOUR VIDEOS PRIVATELY
Why publicly post on Youtube and Facebook when you can share your videos privately and securely? We value your privacy and security. Share your videos securely and privately with your family and friends with RealPlayer Cloud. Your recipients can be on ANY device or operating system; no need for them to have the app to watch your shared videos!
What's new in this version: RealPlayer now comes with a video cloud.
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Convert videos to 16:9 format and remove black bar borders.
- Play MPEG-4 movies with AAC sound with latest version of Apple'...
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Edit, cut, and join your audio, videos, and photos to create yo...
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Convert any formats video to iPad, iPhone, AVCHD, Blu-Ray, DVD.
- Convert video files to MP4 format.
- Back up media to Blu-ray discs and access your media via HTTP p...
- Convert MTS, TS, M2TS video to other popular video formats for ...
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Add watermarks to your videos.
- Connect and share instantly on the worlds most popular IM netwo...
- Convert MTS and other popular video/audio files to any video an...
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Convert MKV videos to AVI, WMV, FLV, MP4 for playback on popula...
- Play all multimedia files and find subtitles automatically.
- MPEG-4 player with postprocessing abilities.
- Get the freshest YouTube content delivered directly to a browse...
- Convert all video/audio formats with high definition and top sp...
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 2,548 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: RealPlayer Cloud 188.8.131.52
everything. in order to play a video had to "update" and that wouldn't work. nothing on here worked. It actually made my computer unstable
Keep old realplayer never upgrade to cloud