From Jan G.P. Sijm:
Poppy for Windows is a small utility that you can use on your Windows PC. It will notify you when you have mail waiting on the POP3 server of your Internet provider (or Internet providers). Poppy can check multiple POP3 servers and check for new messages at regular time intervals.
Poppy needs a working internet connection and is typically used in combination with an ?always on? internet connection, such as a cable or DSL connection. It can be used with a dial-up connection, but that is not very effective.
Once you have started Poppy, you will see an icon in the so-called system tray or taskbar notification area. When Poppy detects that mail is available on any of the configured POP3 servers, it will let you know by changing the taskbar icon. Optionally, Poppy can also play a sound, execute an external program (like your e-mail program) or show a popup window containing a notification message.
More Products to Consider
- Join live video chat rooms from all around the world.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Recover your email messages, contacts, tasks, and notes.
- Add a virtual webcam with various video effects to your video c...
- Extract e-mails from IncrediMail .imm files and save them to mu...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Import .EML and .MSG files into MS Outlook preserving folder st...
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Receive audio and visual notification when you get new e-mail.
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Record and play calls from various instant messengers and Skype...
- Import Mac OS Entourage e-mails to Microsoft Outlook.
- Synchronize your Outlook components with Google account.
- Analyze, record, and print Ethernet files.
- Watch your Internet connection and log the exact time and lengt...
- Open, view, and extract data from TNEF-encoded messages.
- Look up words in various dictionary databases.
- Monitor public/local IP addresses and get notified when IP addr...
- Open and view PST format files without Microsoft Outlook.
- Convert your non-Outlook e-mails and import them into Microsoft...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Exactly what I was looking for in a notifier"
Version: Poppy 5.9.1
For a start, it works, unlike some I've tried. Less than 2 MB installed, and it is free. Easy to set up, you can select various options, and it has Help files, not that you're likely to need them. Displays a decent-sized white envelope in your tray, that turns lime green when new mail is detected, with the addition of a sound if you want it.
None that I can think of.
I don't receive a large number of emails and this app saves me opening my webmail a few times a day just to see if I've had any.Well there does appear to be a Con, which is the tray icon is stuck on green (Notify) and I can't get it back to white. I think this happened because I went straight to my webmail and looked at a new message BEFORE I'd looked at it on Poppy and deleted it there. If I click on the icon it says 1 email but there is no Header to view and delete. I've tried restarting the program, rebooting, you name it. Looks like I've no option but to uninstall and reinstall.
Updated on Oct 8, 2012
Updated on Oct 8, 2012Well there does appear to be a Con, which is the tray icon is stuck on green (Notify) and I can't get it back to white. I think this happened because I went straight to my webmail and looked at a new message BEFORE I'd looked at it on Poppy and deleted it there. If I click on the icon it says 1 email but there is no Header to view and delete. I've tried restarting the program, rebooting, you name it. Looks like I've no option but to uninstall and reinstall.
"Nifty little program - you should try it."
Version: Poppy 5.9.1
see bottom line summary
none that I can see
This little program does exactly what it says it does. It checks your email and notifies you if you have any.It's easy to set up and easy to use. Once it notifies you that you have mail you can double click the icon in the notification area and it will open your email client or any other program that you want it to.
I use Thunderbird 3RC as an email client but don't like to keep it running all the time (uses a fair amount of RAM). So I run Poppy instead (uses little RAM) and use it to open Thunderbird when I have mail.
Poppy seems to work fine with Windows 7 Home Premium.
I have tried lots of email notifiers/checkers and this one works the best for me.
Also, there are lots of notification options included in the program.