From Sci-Fi Hi-Fi:
PodWorks is a Mac OS X application that compensates for the iPod's only downside: Apple only allows you to copy songs to your iPod. If you have two Macs and want to use your iPod to transfer music from one to the other, or you only store your music and videos on your iPod and need to copy them back onto your hard drive after a disk failure, you are out of luck!
This is where PodWorks comes in: it allows you to copy songs and videos from any iPod or iPhone to any Mac running OS X 10.4 or higher. Its important features include:
- iPhone support: PodWorks is the first iPod song transfer app for the Mac to recognize and allow transfers from the iPhone.
- Superior performance: Many other standalone iPod song transfer utilities work by reading song data out of every song on the iPod--a slow process. PodWorks, by contrast, reads its data directly from the iPod's internal database, resulting in nearly instantaneous display of your song list.
- More metadata: Since PodWorks can read from the iPod's internal database, it can also display and sort by song "metadata" not available through ID3 (including Date Added, Play Count, and Star Rating).
- iTunes integration: In addition to copying songs to the Finder, PodWorks can send songs, playlists (registered version only), and metadata (star ratings, play counts, track numbers, etc.) directly to iTunes. It can also filter its song list to show you only the songs on the iPod that are not present in your iTunes library.
- Playlists: PodWorks recognizes your iPod's playlists. Entire playlists can be copied to your computer with a single drag (registered version only).
- Song Playback: PodWorks allows you to preview songs before you copy them by playing them directly off the iPod (not yet available for iPhone).
- Strong organizational capabilities: Copying large numbers of files can get messy, so PodWorks can automatically sort transferred files into directories and change their filenames according to your preferences.
- Portability: PodWorks can be placed on your iPod for convenient access away from your home computer. It will work when run off the iPod, and will remember its registration information even when connected to a previously unknown machine.
PodWorks has been consistently recommended by Mac authorities, including the Wall Street Journal's Walter Mossberg.
What's new in this version: Minor fixes for Snow Leopard compatibility.
More Products to Consider
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Copy songs from iPod/iPhone to Mac by artist, album.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- IPod song, video & playlist sync in 2 directions.
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- IPod Duplicates Remover deletes duplicated songs on iPod.
- Transfer music from iPod to your Mac. Creation Web Content from...
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Convert video between popular formats and enjoy an enhanced pla...
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Copy songs, videos, podcasts & more from iPod to Mac.
- Music notation with MIDI input & part extraction.
- Yet Another iPod Manager.
- Scheduling component for Radiologik DJ.
- Simple, straightforward disc burner, with advanced options for ...
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Automated radio DJ assistant.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Create multilayer audio loops with adjustments and effects.
- Create DVD movie backups.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: PodWorks 2.9.6
So easy to use and so consistent. You can easily tell it to copy all files from your ipod to a computer avoiding duplicates and it works pretty much perfectly. I'm sure it makes a mistake here and there but I've never seen it in about 3 years.
It costs money, but as the other reviewer noted the price is WELL worth it and goes to support a developer that really makes rock solid products.
There is no PC version as far as I know.
Buy it. It is truly a great product.
Version: PodWorks 2.9.6
I don't know why this is not more popular. I have been using it for years from tiger through snow leopard. Simple and effective.
It's not free. But the $8 I spent years ago has paid for itself many times over.
Super stable. Well worth the 8 bucks.