CNET Editors' review
When completing a wood or other project from stock materials, predetermining the layout for cuts helps save costs. Planner for Mac may appeal to a very specialized group of people who need computer assistance in planning a project's cuts, but the price and limited functions may make it a less desirable option.
Available as a free trial version limited to 10 uses, the full program requires a $10 payment. Planner for Mac installs quickly and setup is smooth outside of a dialog box explaining the trial limitations. The program is not supported and lacks instructions. The specialized program means that only a select few would even understand what it is supposed to do, let alone how to operate it. When undertaking woodworking-type projects, you can enter in the measurements of each piece for the project and place it on a mock "board" on the desktop. This supposedly allows you to better plan where to make the actual cuts to ensure the smallest amount of unused wood or other material remains. After experimenting to figure out the operation, we found that the program does not work well. It is easy to enter the dimensions of both the base materials and the pieces to be cut. However, when we were trying to decipher the mockup, it was very difficult to work with the diagram showing where the cuts will be made.
Planner for Mac may only appeal to a few specialized users and is not the type of software an average Mac user will find interesting.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Planner for Mac 1.2.0.
Planner was developed to help craftsmen plan how best to use expensive and limited stock material effectively. For example, a piece of furniture might require twenty wooden items be made from furniture grade lumber sized eight by four feet. Rectangles representing items could be cut out of paper and rearranged so that fewer pieces of expensive stock lumber is needed, or Planner could be used. Planner is $10 shareware. You can try Planner in Demo Mode for ten launches before registration is required.
What's new in this version: Version 1.4.0 is compiled for 32 bit Cocoa.
More Products to Consider
- Simple alarm clock & timer.
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Scientific and Programmers desktop calculator with variables an...
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Save & organize any text you may want handy.
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- List of all active shortcuts of the current application.
- Clear duplicate contacts out of Address Book.
- Easy and free Personal todo list and shared task list for your ...
- OneNote-style note taking and clipping app.
- All-in-1 tool for tracking and analyzing your investments and t...
- Sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
- A goofy idea organizer and information manager.
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Envelope printing with barcode support widget.
- Organize and manage your finances and track your spending.
- Periodic table with detailed physical/nuclear info.
- Calculate expressions.
- Share clipboard with other Macs on network.
- Quickly create visually appealing mind maps.
- Automate app & file launching on unattended Macs.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content