CNET Editors' review
Picasa Web Albums is Google's Web photo-hosting service. Users get 1GB of free hosting, and images can be uploaded and manipulated using Picasa, Google's free desktop photo management application. Users who want additional storage can shell out up to $500 a year to bump up the hosted space to 400 times the size of the free hosting service.
Much like everything else Google, Picasa is exceptionally straightforward to use, with a tabbed interface offering three options--My Photos, Favorites, and Explore--the last of which lets you browse the public photo library. Next to the tabs, you'll find a prominent Upload button for adding photos to your albums, which you can set to various levels of privacy. Within your albums, you have the option to view a slideshow, share via e-mail, make a collage or movie, order prints, and edit various aspects.
We really like the integration between the desktop and Web application. Similar to .Mac and iPhoto, Picasa makes it really simple to take photos from your desktop and publish them online for others to see. We're also fans of the built-in geotagging that lets you set where photos were taken either by single photo, or by entire albums. It's a great way to browse photos if you feel like exploring.Picasa 3:
Picasa can transfer, find, organize, edit, print, and share images, all with this easy-to-use product. Watch Picasa automatically organize all your pictures into elegant albums by date. Having all your photos in one place means no more time wasted searching for folders or files. The program works with JPEG, GIF, BMP, PSD, and movie files and is compatible with most digital cameras; it detects your USB driver and imports pictures into albums.Editing tools include cropping (standard or custom), removal of red-eye, and enhancing--even switching from color to black and white. Create slide shows set to your MP3s. Integration with Picasa's free Hello instant picture-sharing software lets you share hundreds of photos in seconds and chat in real time. E-mail photos with Picasa's built-in client to take the guesswork out of compressing images, and order photo-lab quality prints or print at home with no mistakes. You can also make instant backups to CD (or to other hard drives) of your photo collections, to organize your photos using labels and stars (just like with Gmail), to write captions for all pictures, and to organize videos as well as pictures.
What's new in this version:
- Picasa now includes Google+ Auto Backup for the Desktop.
- Updates to RAW support to include newer cameras.
- Patches to image handling. We would like to thank Hossein Lotfi, Secunia Research, for helping to identify several issues in RAW, TIFF, and JPEG handling.
- Updated file size limits for uploads: 50 MB or 100 MP.
- "Edit in Creative Kit" function has been removed.
More Products to Consider
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Create photo shows from your photographs automatically.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Ddownload, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Recover lost photo, video & audio files from memory cards and o...
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 1,557 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"OUT OF CONTRO"
Version: Picasa 3.9.137 Build 81
I wouldn't know of any, as son as I opened it went into spastic auto uploading mode that would not stop. I have thousands of picture in several organized Albums. I only wanted to upload videos and I had no way of stopping the program from just uploading every image file it came across.
You cannot stop it once it begins to load for the first time. NOT GOOD FOR LARGE PHOTO ALBUMS. I pay for a Photobucket account instead. I was tired of Facebook's poor organization.
If you have a small amount of photos it might work fine. It is fast but you have little control. I safely deleted it from my computer after a short 20 minute ordeal. I hope nothing got deleted. I have no idea where t stored the thumbnails it creates to view the photos unless it just uses links to the original.